Wargamers Malaysia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Malaysia's Premier Wargame Community Forum

HomeWargamers frontGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Basing and Choosing Psychic Powers

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Vuel
Corporal
Corporal
Vuel

Honor Points : 4739

Basing and Choosing Psychic Powers Empty
PostSubject: Basing and Choosing Psychic Powers   Basing and Choosing Psychic Powers EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 5:24 am

I have two questions here; the first one will be about model basing, and the second about Psychic Powers.

1. Which base should the Beast of Nurgle use?
The 40mm base was supplied with in the model's blister.
However, when you look closely at pages 57 and 89 of the Chaos Daemon codex, they are based using the 60mm base.
(especially on page 57 where you can compare to the Plaguebearers' and Nurglings' bases)
So, which one should I use; 40mm or 60mm?

2. Choosing Psychic Powers for Eldar. This is how I understand it:
1. Buy a farseer
2a. Spend the points to acquire any psychic power (typically the cheapest one)
2b. Buy spirit stones and any two psychic powers
3. Substitute the chosen psychic power(s) with a Lore in the rulebook
4. Choose to roll a d6 (for each psychic power) or take the signature spell
Did I do it right?
Back to top Go down
http://vuel-iqbal.blogspot.com
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Honor Points : 6428

PostSubject: Re: Basing and Choosing Psychic Powers   Basing and Choosing Psychic Powers EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 5:48 am

In this edition.. I dont think what base size you use matters anymore since they dont provide extra inches when disembark from vehicles. In your case.. just use whatever base you like lah. Each has pro and cons of course.

As for Psychic Power.. sorry I can't help you. Being Khornate, my knowledge on Psychic is very limited.
Back to top Go down
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

Honor Points : 5331

PostSubject: Re: Basing and Choosing Psychic Powers   Basing and Choosing Psychic Powers EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 6:07 am

On Psychic powers, you sort of got it right.

1. Buy a farseer
2a. spend points to acquire psychic power of your choice
2b. you may but spirit stones so that you can buy and use two powers
3. you may subsitute the powers you bought with a lore in the book
4. if you choose to use the powers from the book, roll a d6 to determine what power you get. you can always choose to use the default power (e.g. prescience)

So, you can, for example, have your farseer running around with Fortune and Prescience (for which you paid the points for Mind War, for example). In another battle, the same Farseer may also be running around with Prescience (or some other lore spell, paid for by the points for Fortune) and Mind War. Or in yet another battle, the very same Farseer could be running around with 2 powers chosen from the book, paid for in points for the Fortune and Mind War. Or even, the very same guy could be running around with the original Fortune and Mind War that you bought in the first place.

The cool thing about this is that from the very same list entry, the same Farseer has suddenly become way more flexible, and allows you to change his psychic arsenal to fit the situation. Very handy in tourneys and leagues in which you have to use the same list for different situations and opponents. Love it!
Back to top Go down
http://spunkybass.blogspot.com/
Vuel
Corporal
Corporal
Vuel

PostSubject: Re: Basing and Choosing Psychic Powers   Basing and Choosing Psychic Powers EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 9:37 am

oh, really?
until you spelt it out, i didn't know that you can do all those stuff in the scenarios mentioned above..now, that's cool Cool
Back to top Go down
AznJake
Sergeant
Sergeant
AznJake

Honor Points : 4875

PostSubject: Re: Basing and Choosing Psychic Powers   Basing and Choosing Psychic Powers EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 12:17 pm

I thought trade all your psychic powers when you choose to use from the psychic disciplines?
Back to top Go down
shaun
Corporal
Corporal
shaun

Honor Points : 4635

PostSubject: Re: Basing and Choosing Psychic Powers   Basing and Choosing Psychic Powers EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 2:25 pm

Yes you trade all Psychic Powers for the ones in the Discipline. Its in the FAQ's.
Back to top Go down
Vuel
Corporal
Corporal
Vuel

PostSubject: Re: Basing and Choosing Psychic Powers   Basing and Choosing Psychic Powers EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 5:07 pm

@jake & shaun: I initially thought so too..
Back to top Go down
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

PostSubject: Re: Basing and Choosing Psychic Powers   Basing and Choosing Psychic Powers EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 4:36 am

Re-reading the FAQ, it says you may use the psychic disciplines from the rulebook instead of the powers from the codex. To do so, for each psychic power purchased from the codex, generate a new power from Divination or Telepathy (in any combination). So maybe I was wrong in my super-flexible interpretation, in that I can't just use one of the Codex powers and one from the book. Then again, it doesn't specifically say that I can't.

What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
AznJake
Sergeant
Sergeant
AznJake

Honor Points : 4875

PostSubject: Re: Basing and Choosing Psychic Powers   Basing and Choosing Psychic Powers EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 7:44 am

Neither does it say you can pick both.

"To do so" in the second sentence, meant that if you want to use psychic disciplines (not one nor in any mix with codex powers), you have to exchange each psychic powers you have purchased from the codex.

Here's a more straight forward example, "I may use my bolter to shoot you in the head instead of using my bolt pistol. To do so, I have to exchange my bolt pistol to use my bolter."

It's possible to use either the bolter to bolt pistol to shoot you, if you just read the first sentence. But because the second sentence restricts you from doing so, you can't.

It is as clear as daylight, if you applied basic grammar understanding.
Back to top Go down
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

PostSubject: Re: Basing and Choosing Psychic Powers   Basing and Choosing Psychic Powers EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:41 am

Cool, we'll go with that then. It's still flexible as hell. For example, the list could be built with the Farseer having Fortune and Guide. But he could swith those for other powers in a game that maybe Fortune and Guide wouldn't be as good as Divination or Telephathy powers. Nice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Basing and Choosing Psychic Powers   Basing and Choosing Psychic Powers Empty

Back to top Go down

Basing and Choosing Psychic Powers
Page 1 of 1