Wargamers Malaysia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Malaysia's Premier Wargame Community Forum

HomeWargamers frontGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

[WTA] How to revive old GW paint

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
kahjin

kahjin

Honor Points : 4272

[WTA] How to revive old GW paint Empty
PostSubject: [WTA] How to revive old GW paint   [WTA] How to revive old GW paint EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 9:38 pm

Hi All,

I've googled a few sites for the above matter but none seem conclusive. This method of using matte medium seems convincing, but I'm looking to see how you pros do it Smile any helpful tips to part?
Back to top Go down
limp83
Sergeant
Sergeant
limp83

Honor Points : 4987
Location : In my Nurglish room, painting, voiding all social contact.

PostSubject: Re: [WTA] How to revive old GW paint   [WTA] How to revive old GW paint EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 4:10 am

Dude... you are experimenting alot of exciting hobby stuff =)

I've tried adding water, it doesn't go far for my pot of comando Khaki...maybe I should try getting one of those matte medium too.. thanks for sharing the helpful link!
Back to top Go down
http://40knoobtonoob.blogspot.com
kahjin

kahjin

PostSubject: Re: [WTA] How to revive old GW paint   [WTA] How to revive old GW paint EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 6:54 am

Hehe no choice man, I got 8-9 bottles getting mucky and all so I gotta do something quick!

Now where to find those matte medium solutions...?
Back to top Go down
limp83
Sergeant
Sergeant
limp83

Honor Points : 4987
Location : In my Nurglish room, painting, voiding all social contact.

PostSubject: Re: [WTA] How to revive old GW paint   [WTA] How to revive old GW paint EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 7:10 am

kahjin wrote:
Hehe no choice man, I got 8-9 bottles getting mucky and all so I gotta do something quick!

I believe you can try your luck at The Garden's (mid valley) Art Friend.. they carry quite a lot of stuff... or any local friendly art store that carry paint

http://hazelong.com/blog/2011/11/18/list-art-supply-stores-klang-valley/
done a quick google and this blog post seems to list out quite alot of art shop around the town, you might want to google the phone number and call em up before you visit to prevent wasted trip
Back to top Go down
http://40knoobtonoob.blogspot.com
kahjin

kahjin

PostSubject: Re: [WTA] How to revive old GW paint   [WTA] How to revive old GW paint EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 7:20 am

limp83 wrote:
kahjin wrote:

I believe you can try your luck at The Garden's (mid valley) Art Friend.. they carry quite a lot of stuff... or any local friendly art store that carry paint

done a quick google and this blog post seems to list out quite alot of art shop around the town, you might want to google the phone number and call em up before you visit to prevent wasted trip

Thanks for the info dude! Just called Art Friend and they'ven got some cheers

Will input my feedback of the outcome *fingers crossed*
Back to top Go down
Vuel
Corporal
Corporal
Vuel

Honor Points : 4748

PostSubject: Re: [WTA] How to revive old GW paint   [WTA] How to revive old GW paint EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 4:00 pm

1 drop of pure glycerine will also work..
but if you put more than that, then your paint will never dry..
Back to top Go down
http://vuel-iqbal.blogspot.com
kahjin

kahjin

PostSubject: Re: [WTA] How to revive old GW paint   [WTA] How to revive old GW paint EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 7:19 pm

Vuel wrote:
1 drop of pure glycerine will also work..
but if you put more than that, then your paint will never dry..

Thanks for the tip Vuel, don't think I've come across anything like that until you mentioned it. That's one heckuva retarder!
Back to top Go down
kahjin

kahjin

PostSubject: Re: [WTA] How to revive old GW paint   [WTA] How to revive old GW paint EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 7:55 pm

kahjin wrote:
limp83 wrote:
kahjin wrote:

Thanks for the info dude! Just called Art Friend and they'ven got some cheers

Will input my feedback of the outcome *fingers crossed*

Ok so I got myself a Daler-Rowney Matt Medium 75ml at RM16 earlier at Art Friend. Man that place seriously has everything lah, even diorama stuff that's cheaper than GW products!

[WTA] How to revive old GW paint Img_1210 [WTA] How to revive old GW paint Img_1211

Meantime here's a short pictorial of the experiment (excuse the pic quality, the iPhone fails at low light conditions):

1. The chaos black before, note the gunk in the pot.

[WTA] How to revive old GW paint Img_1311

2. Application of the matt medium, pumped about 3ml in total.

[WTA] How to revive old GW paint Img_1312

3. After giving it a good mix for about a minute or two, muckiness begone! Less tension observed towards the end of the grind.

[WTA] How to revive old GW paint Img_1313

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with the end result, when compared to just adding drops of water into the pot. With the matt medium applied, the black pigment seem to hold up much better on the mini.

I've yet to try this on metallics, but will post a feedback when I go about it.

Meantime HTH!
Back to top Go down
T.Hijiri
Private
Private
T.Hijiri

Honor Points : 4600

PostSubject: Re: [WTA] How to revive old GW paint   [WTA] How to revive old GW paint EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 11:40 am

I bought some Daler Rowney Low Odour Thinner (for Acrylics) from the same shop. Not sure if I used too much, as it didn't work on my GW paints... Sad
Back to top Go down
https://picasaweb.google.com/117620792610579106163/Miniatures?au
kahjin

kahjin

PostSubject: Re: [WTA] How to revive old GW paint   [WTA] How to revive old GW paint EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 8:54 am

T.Hijiri wrote:
I bought some Daler Rowney Low Odour Thinner (for Acrylics) from the same shop. Not sure if I used too much, as it didn't work on my GW paints... Sad

Hmm bro I don't think the thinner would work.

BTW I tried to revive my metallics (tin bitz) in matte medium but it didn't produce the expected results. The bling looked to have diminished after I was done mixing.
Back to top Go down
Padios
Private
Private
Padios

Honor Points : 4314

PostSubject: Re: [WTA] How to revive old GW paint   [WTA] How to revive old GW paint EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 2:22 pm

GW sells something called Lahmian Medium which is basically paint without the colour pigment. This stuff is great for mixing when a good degree of control is required. Not as random as using water.

GW paints are WATER BASED acrylics so you shouldn't use mineral oils like turpentine or such to dillute it. Stuff that is made to dilute acrylic paints should be good to go also.
Back to top Go down
http://padios-minime.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [WTA] How to revive old GW paint   [WTA] How to revive old GW paint Empty

Back to top Go down

[WTA] How to revive old GW paint
Page 1 of 1