Wargamers Malaysia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Malaysia's Premier Wargame Community Forum

HomeWargamers frontGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Ravenwing rides again!

Go down 
+3
CikguDin
Paxter
spunkybass
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

Honor Points : 5371

The Ravenwing rides again! Empty
PostSubject: The Ravenwing rides again!   The Ravenwing rides again! EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 12:29 pm

The codex might be pricey - but what a tome! Some real nice artwork in there, some old pics, and a whole bunch of new ones. And the rules are really interesting. And the new models ... niiiiiice.

I've been playing Ravenwing for awhile now, so naturally the very first lists are Ravenwing. The two below both have the spanking new Nephilim Jetfighter, but I'm still undecided whether to field a Command Squad (with the awesome Apocethary model), or a larger Black Knight squad.

They both have the same number of bikes (35, including Corvex). The one w the Command Squad has an extra Troops unit. And the Command Squad definitely looks better. On the other hand, I suspect the Black Knight squad is meaner and is probably better on table. Anyways, here are the lists:

List 1: Sammael brings his Command Squad
HQ:
Sammael
Ravenwing Command Squad (3) - Apothecary, company banner

TROOPS:
Ravenwing Attack Squadron (6) - vet sgt w powerfist, 2 meltaguns
Ravenwing Attack Bike - multimelta
Ravenwing Attack Squadron (6) - vet sgt w power sword & melta bombs, 2 plasma guns
Ravenwing Attack Squadron (3) - vet sgt w power sword & melta bombs, flamer

FAST ATTACK:
Nephilim Jetfighter

List 2: The Black Knights Attack!
HQ:
Sammael

TROOPS:
Ravenwing Attack Squadron (6) - vet sgt w power sword & melta bombs, 2 plasma guns

FAST ATTACK:
Ravenwing Black Knights (6) - 1 grenade launcher, power sword & meltabombs for Huntmaster
Nephilim Jetfighter
Back to top Go down
http://spunkybass.blogspot.com/
Paxter
Admin
Admin
Paxter

Honor Points : 6176

PostSubject: Re: The Ravenwing rides again!   The Ravenwing rides again! EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 2:36 pm

Wah looks like your old list we should play! this coming Friday vs my plague marines or my DE ur pick
Back to top Go down
https://wargamersmalaysia.forumms.net
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

PostSubject: Re: The Ravenwing rides again!   The Ravenwing rides again! EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 2:55 pm

It looks like my old list because it's built around my old list! Laughing In fact, if I don't use any of the new Black Knight models, I can use the exact old list, but with the Nephilim and an extra Attack Bike added.

Yes, definitely we play this Friday. Let's go against your plague marines, for the Hunt is but for naught when the Ravenwing must fight xenos. At least against the traitor abominations, there may yet be trace of the Fallen. To battle!
Back to top Go down
Paxter
Admin
Admin
Paxter

PostSubject: Re: The Ravenwing rides again!   The Ravenwing rides again! EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 3:01 pm

For kicks I will bring the cypher model lol
Back to top Go down
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

PostSubject: Re: The Ravenwing rides again!   The Ravenwing rides again! EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 5:01 pm

evil ...
Back to top Go down
Paxter
Admin
Admin
Paxter

PostSubject: Re: The Ravenwing rides again!   The Ravenwing rides again! EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 5:42 pm

wished they would bring back cyphers rules... was hoping that in the codex DA they had a mini list for using fallen Very Happy
Back to top Go down
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

PostSubject: Re: The Ravenwing rides again!   The Ravenwing rides again! EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 6:24 pm

... it's called Codex:Chaos Space Marines Laughing though I don't think you can have an IC with twin plasma pistols. You almost lost that model once, right?

I also have a list with one less squad. I retain the Command Squad, and add an Interrogator-Chaplain on bike. Quite fluffy. Interrogator-Chaplain should be riding with Ravenwing strike forces. And the conversion would be cool too - thinking of using the plastic chappie from SOV
Back to top Go down
CikguDin
Sergeant
Sergeant

Honor Points : 5027

PostSubject: Re: The Ravenwing rides again!   The Ravenwing rides again! EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 6:29 pm

A bit OT, but when seeing the codex DA, suddenly my 15 tac-termies look viable again as Deathwing. Furthermore, GW finally settled for Belial's model, though his new pt cost left much to be desired compared to Lysander who's only at +10pts more but is at +1W, S10, EW..etc...

About your lists, in my opinion, with your usual preference for assault/close combat that is evident with most of your armies (even your IG & Eldar) I'd say better go for the Black Knights list.

Corvus Hammer really rocks with +1S & Rending. With 4 atks per model on charging, you'd scare even the bloodiest Khorne Berzerkers. Not to mention your enemies will have to eat T/L plasma shots in their face in the 1st place..nasty Evil or Very Mad !
Back to top Go down
shaun
Corporal
Corporal
shaun

Honor Points : 4675

PostSubject: Re: The Ravenwing rides again!   The Ravenwing rides again! EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 10:05 pm

The Black Knights would be better cause of unit size haha. The grenade launcher will also help as it can fire Rad shells which act like rad grenades from GK. It doesnt help that i think the Black Knights are way cooler than the Command squad Laughing
Back to top Go down
CikguDin
Sergeant
Sergeant

Honor Points : 5027

PostSubject: Re: The Ravenwing rides again!   The Ravenwing rides again! EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 4:01 am

Its up to personal preference actually, but i'd prefer the Stasis shell rather than the Rad shell, especially the benefits in cc.

-1 to WS & I means the Black Knights will hit & wound on 3+, & more importantly, striking faster than the average MEQs, which makes a lot of difference especially since the Black Knights units size is so small.

But if you prefer just to shoot the enemy to death, then Rad shell is for you since -1T means you can insta-gibb the Necron Wraith-star with mass t/l plasma shots Twisted Evil .
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Honor Points : 6468

PostSubject: Re: The Ravenwing rides again!   The Ravenwing rides again! EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 5:08 am

The 2nd list is way cooler coz of the Black Knights. Stasis or Rad,they are both good if you ask me.

I think we'll be seeing an errata on Nephilim Jetfighter soon. It got "Missile Lock" special rules, but no missiles that can benefit from it Laughing
Back to top Go down
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

PostSubject: Re: The Ravenwing rides again!   The Ravenwing rides again! EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 5:11 am

I guess that was the very first disappointment (not a big one, rather minor in fact) was when I noticed that the command squad is locked at 3 bikes. The only reason why I wanted the command squad was because of the cool apothecary. Anyways, I might paint up both. But yes, tactically the bigger Black Knights squad would probably be meaner.

The original reason why I wanted the grenade launcher was because I wanted to minimize converting the plasma talon bikes. I got 3 brand new ones from the new kit, and enough plasma gun bits to convert a few more. Using the grenade launcher bits minimizes my work a bit. But having seen what the thing can do, it's really awesome. I'm sure it will be useful against the plague marines this Friday. Guess which shell I'll be using a lot for that battle?

The Nephilim has 6 Blackshadow missiles. Do those work w missile lock?
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: The Ravenwing rides again!   The Ravenwing rides again! EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 5:51 am

That is the funny part. The "Missile Lock" USR is for blast type missiles only. But Blacksword Missiles is a one shot missile (ala Krak Missile). At least for now lah Laughing

The Command Squad is way cooler. Too bad they cap it at 3.
Back to top Go down
Paxter
Admin
Admin
Paxter

PostSubject: Re: The Ravenwing rides again!   The Ravenwing rides again! EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 6:09 am

well technically IRL missiles dont really hit the plane its the blast and the shrapnel from it that causes planes to crash. Prob GW might Revise that rule Or make the weapon dual stats
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: The Ravenwing rides again!   The Ravenwing rides again! EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 7:30 am

Looking at all other armies, missiles never had dual stats. It's the weapon that can choose wether to use Krak or Frag or Flak Missiles. So I doubt there'll be dual stats for Blacksword. I'm guessing it will be S6 AP4 Blast/Large Blast.

Back to the list, I think it is a scary list. Looking forward to the first Batrep of them.

I think the DA codex is a very good codex overall. Very nice options even on Tactical Squads.
Back to top Go down
Paxter
Admin
Admin
Paxter

PostSubject: Re: The Ravenwing rides again!   The Ravenwing rides again! EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 7:38 am

Lets fight lan Very Happy nurgle airforce VS the fast biker army from church This is 1750 pts right?

need to build me my list properly
Back to top Go down
dif2find
Major
Major
dif2find

Honor Points : 5368

PostSubject: Re: The Ravenwing rides again!   The Ravenwing rides again! EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 7:55 am

that i list i one nasty speed freak.. with that amount of melta.. wei scary.
Back to top Go down
http://dif2find-wargaming.blogspot.com/
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

PostSubject: Re: The Ravenwing rides again!   The Ravenwing rides again! EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 2:02 pm

@LordAK - the missiles have no blast on them, so I guess no missile lock until FAQ perhaps. This army is scary - especially for me. Every time I play ravenwing it's always stressful. So little men. So many enemies

@Pax - we shall rid the sector of traitorous scum like your plague marines!

@dif - this list actually has one less melta compared to the old one.

But I'm looking forward to it. Been awhile since Sammael's boys took to the field (or even leave the shelves)
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: The Ravenwing rides again!   The Ravenwing rides again! EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 9:19 am

Yup.. that's why it's so funny and stupid. Coz you see, that USR must have played some part when they come up with the cost of a Nephilim. But very much wasted coz it wont benefit the fighter plane at all.

The list has too many meltas, good against GK lah. But I'd prefer more Plasmas so can play around at range. Let the Attack Bikes do the tank hunting.
Back to top Go down
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

PostSubject: Re: The Ravenwing rides again!   The Ravenwing rides again! EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 9:35 am

Yes, way too many meltas. But it's using models already painted. So maybe sometime in future I might just paint more new bikes w plasmas.

I did think about the points cost of the Nephilim. More expensive than a Vendetta but less firepower, armor and the vendetta can even carry troops. No justice.

But the Nephilim is Ravenwing. The First. The Sons of the Lion!
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: The Ravenwing rides again!   The Ravenwing rides again! EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 10:26 am

The Nephilim looks real cool to me. And since Ravenwing = coolness, you have no reason to not take it hahaha..
Back to top Go down
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

PostSubject: Re: The Ravenwing rides again!   The Ravenwing rides again! EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 2:33 pm

I think there's an edict somewhere in the Inner Circle by-laws that Lord Sammael has no choice but to field at least one Nephilim every time he takes to battle. And these bad boys work in space too, at least according to Gav Thorpe.
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: The Ravenwing rides again!   The Ravenwing rides again! EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 9:24 am

I love Gav Thorpe, he made good WFB army books. If he say so, then it must be true!!
Back to top Go down
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

PostSubject: Re: The Ravenwing rides again!   The Ravenwing rides again! EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 11:16 am

Lol. Also just noticed that the Nephilim has strafing run. That should be good against most ground targets. Also, since Sammael is now IC w skilled rider, you have the option of attaching him to another normal ravenwing bike squad. So now you would have 2 squads w 4+ jink save (the black knights are also skilled rider)
Back to top Go down
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

PostSubject: Re: The Ravenwing rides again!   The Ravenwing rides again! EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 9:40 am

This army is seriously fun. Even more models than the old army, and while no longer fearless, 6th Ed does help. I keep forgetting about hammer of wrath though, that's losing out on a lot of I10 attacks.

some of the things I noted:
- Nephilim - unrelenting hunter is cool when you weapon destroy a tank and immobilize it instead. Strafing run is also good. This plane not really tested last night and will probably never be a truly intimidating flyer, but it looks good anyways.
- hit n run for the bikers is a good thing, especially when locked in combat w a dreadnought Laughing
- ravenwing grenade launcher is funky!!!
- black knights are awesome, even if my dice rolls resulted in 2 guys dying to overheated plasma talons
- jink is awesome!
- jink by skilled riders is even awesomer

It's been so long since i played ravenwing i forgot about the speed, ease of maneuver, élan and the scariness of having so few guys. This is army is serious fun and it's a big reason why i built it in the first place.

So much fun that I'll be using these guys for the league instead of the xenos
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Ravenwing rides again!   The Ravenwing rides again! Empty

Back to top Go down

The Ravenwing rides again!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next