Wargamers Malaysia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Malaysia's Premier Wargame Community Forum

HomeWargamers frontGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O

Go down 
+2
LordAK
majzackbro
6 posters
AuthorMessage
majzackbro

Honor Points : 4093

Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O Empty
PostSubject: Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O   Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 8:04 pm

Hey guys, i have never really posted anything on this forum here now so i may as well consider this post my second post in my wargamersmalaysia.com lifetime - second to my introduction at the "Battleground" page.

I've been looking to build a Space Marine army for some time now and have gotten the codex. I could never quite decide on whether i should start an existing army or create my own. Couldn't exactly decide on a colour scheme either so i thought i ought to save the creating for later. So i decided to settle with the Crimson Fists. These guys are die-hard proud of their abilities and for that i commend their confidence (though it almost got them wiped out some time back, i have no issue with that whatsoever) Plus, all rules aside, i love Power Fists :3. Their emphasis on their fists make me love them all the more (aside from the Imperial Fists). I didn't quite want to go with the Imperial Fists cause although yellow is a nice, bright colour for an army to stand out, i liked the dark, sinister red and blue that the Crimson Fists sport. Thus, my choice has been made.

My problems now are problems such as to which is the best and most cost-effective way for a person (with a budget - "student budget" =X) to start a well rounded Crimson Fists army? Also, i'm still debating myself on the fact of to whether i'm more of the diorama artist/hobbyist or the wargamer kind. I'm in a dilemma. I haven't quite played the game before as i'm still relatively new to this. I haven't painted any miniatures before so that's my second issue. Will definitely get round to painting my first batch when i get to strip-paint the second hand mini's i got from E-bay. Again, was working on a tight budget so hope you guys understand.

As of now, i currently have these at my disposal where most are still not ready to be fielded and are still within the Chapter Chapels being prepped.

HQ

None ;(

Troops

Tactical Marines - bolters, a flamer and a missile launcher. (Sgt with Chainsword and boltgun)

Tactical Marines - bolters, a flamer and a missile launcher. (Sgt with Chainsword and boltgun)

Combat Marines - Bolters and a Sergeant with a plasma gun.

Elites

1 Dreadnought with Lascannon and Standard Claw and Flamer.

1 Terminator Squad - Undecided Equipment.

Heavy Support

1 Devastator Squad - *En route - Just ordered*

I know... its a badly organized list. All the tactical marines and combat marines need to be strip painted and re-painted after to match the Fists colour scheme but i have no issue with that. Mainly need help sorting out the list to see what i'm lacking, what i need to improve on, what i need to know (Game rules, fundamentals of painting, tools for painting, tools of the trade etc) and so forth. Also, can anyone advise on whether dish-washing liquid is ideal for strip painting?

Please forgive the inconvenience guys. I'm still quite hazy on this and most likely i'll only be able to go 100% on this hobby thing after my SPM so yeah. Priorities first. Please advise. Would really appreciate it. Thanks guys.

Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Honor Points : 6437

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O   Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 5:36 am

Firstly, CF wouldn't be CF without the Chapter Master Pedro Kantor. He is one of the best IC for the point cost and boost CF tremendously. He would fill that empty HQ role greatly.Next you need to build your army around his ability and you'll do fine.

That Terminator unit is the standard or assault ones? I suggest 5 man Assault Terminators in Land Raider to ride with Kantor. I play that setup a few times and it was really nice.

The Tactical Marines would do good with Rhinos. Keep them at 2 units just to fil up the troop slot and take a unit of Sternguards (in Drop Pod better). Sternguards are good, and CF ones are the best since they can score.

The rumor says new SM codex would drop in by October. If that were true then maybe you can prepare your army for that release. Just make sure sure you leave some money/points/slot for the new stuffs that always come with a new codex Smile
Back to top Go down
majzackbro

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O   Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 10:44 am

Hmm thats true. Kantor is also one of the reasons why i wanted the CF. However, ive been told that though Kantor and the sternguards are great looking models, Finecast has lots of issues regarding quality control. And i would still most definitely need him so please advice on the matter. Oh assault terminators. Damn.. Only got standard ones. Are they any good with him?

O.o will definitely get round to that, though if its coming out october, then i better start saving up for that ;3 any idea how much it may cost so i can benchmark my amount of savings?

Also, i've been meaning to strip paint the tactical squads i got from ebay. Is dish washing detergent suitable for strip painting plastic miniatures? Otherwise can someone please recommend an ideal, cheap and good local brand i can utilize?

Many thanks.
Back to top Go down
dann.toh
Major
Major
dann.toh

Honor Points : 5241

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O   Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 10:55 am

majzackbro wrote:

Also, i've been meaning to strip paint the tactical squads i got from ebay. Is dish washing detergent suitable for strip painting plastic miniatures? Otherwise can someone please recommend an ideal, cheap and good local brand i can utilize?

Many thanks.

dettol or brake fluid. the latter works better, but for the sake of the environment, i'd recommend dettol.

As for purchase, you can never go wrong with Marines. Whatever else you get, Marines will always be your staple.
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O   Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 11:12 am

Finecast is good.. they are very light and easy to convert. Of course there's some issue, but not something that you can't deal with. Summore the paint don't chip on them.

Standard Termies also good with CycloneML and Chainfist. They usually don't ride LR so you can save some money there.

Back to top Go down
majzackbro

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O   Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 11:26 am

Hi dann. Dettol? Alrighty. Thanks man.

Hi LordAK. Mm...i see. Okay.. About the termies though, would standard ones work well with pedro? Also, i didnt know standard termies dont ride in LRs. What do they ride in though?

Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
AznJake
Sergeant
Sergeant
AznJake

Honor Points : 4884

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O   Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 1:16 pm

The earlier releases of finecasts were filled with problems, not the newer ones. There has been plenty of good reviews of the recent ones. I for one have 4 finecast models, 3 are from tyranids and 1 from grey knights.

In all cases of resin models, the usual things you would see are flasks, flaky excesses you can pick off and bubble gaps which for finecasts, are tiny so you really just need liquid greenstuff to patch it up.
Back to top Go down
majzackbro

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O   Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 1:19 pm

Hi jake. O.o i see...ill need to look u some lessons o. How to use green stuff then! Thanks for the useful info bro Very Happy
Back to top Go down
AznJake
Sergeant
Sergeant
AznJake

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O   Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 4:49 pm

Oh you don't need for any lessons really, liquid green stuff comes in paint bottles, so you use them like how you paint minis, add a bit of water - brush - then wait to dry. Just in case you don't properly clean your brushes (since they harden like green stuff), use the cheap easy to get brushes.

Besides, I'm currently in Wales for the next couple months, but I frequent Hobby Forge before I left home.
Back to top Go down
majzackbro

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O   Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 7:19 pm

Ahh... How does Green stuff work technically? I'm still kinda hazy on the sculpting process but am focusing on getting at least a 500pt army assembled. A nice well rounded, not to mention good looking one :3 I'm not in a rush so i've got space to learn. Problem for me now is time, SPM is 6 months away. i won't be able to go all out as i mentioned above until after that. Around mid Nov - Dec. Any tips on 'tools of the trade'? O-o
Back to top Go down
AznJake
Sergeant
Sergeant
AznJake

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O   Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 11:42 pm

Well for GW there's two types of green stuff, the solid and liquid kinds. The former is something like 'Play Dough' or putty, you can mold it into any shape for a period of time before it hardens. However they are very sticky on dry hands, so what you do before holding any greenstuff, try wetting it either with water or olive oil so it doesn't stick to your hand instead.

The most of the green stuff or anything equivalent comes in two strips of it, in the case of GW ones, it's blue and yellow. You mix an equal portion of each together with your hands until it turns green. Liquid greenstuff is readily usable out of the paint bottle so nothing extra to prepare than how you usually paint your miniatures.

Both serve various purposes but most people used it to fill up gaps or mistakes. Sculpting is really not necessary for you to know since you don't need to create anything from scratch.

When starting any kind of army, try to get one HQ and two Troop choices ready as it is the compulsory composition. That's usually just around 200 points but you just need to get the hang of the game and experience the three things most hobbyists enjoy - modelling, painting and playing.

From then on it's basically down to how far you're aiming. When I started out I basically went slowly from 500 points and increasing 250 points each passing time. I.e 750, 1000, 1250, 1500, to 1750. You can stop at 1750 or 2000 points as that's normally how large a casual game is.

What unit you want to use after the compulsory choices is solely up to your interest. You could be competitive, build the most powerful list either through experience or looking at other people's list and adjust accordingly; you can be thematic, go many infantries, many bikes, many tanks or anything in between in your army; you can also be background driven, following a specific Crimson Fist's company or just create your own.

Though in the end, it is important that you get the models you like not what people suggests even though you don't like it. At least for me, it affects how much I want to assemble and paint them. The more you like a model, the less you feel like it's a chore to do so and you would likely to put more effort into trying to make your models stand out.

Space marines is an easy army, you won't go wrong buying anything as long you have the basic knowledge on who has what and who is good at what. As far as I know, any space marine player I've known has at least one land raider, one unit of assault terminators, one unit of normal terminators, a named HQ chacacter and a librarian. It's mainly because they fit to any kind of army.

Since now they can get the Stormraven, you might want to check that flyer out too, it's good for transporting assaulty units.
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O   Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 3:44 am

Quote :
About the termies though, would standard ones work well with pedro? Also, i didnt know standard termies dont ride in LRs. What do they ride in though?
They don't ride anything.. they just walk. Otherwise it would be wasting their firepower.

They are okay with Pedro due to the Inspiring Presence, but they best work with Lysander due to Bolter Drill. Summore Lysander can tank all the AP2 shots coming at them with his 4 Wounds, 2+/3++ and Eternal Warrior, provided he is at the front lah kan. 10 man Termies with 10 TL-Storm Bolter and 2 CycloneML is ganas. I've suffered their fury when my RG went against Alvin's Raptors (no TL but with 2+ cover .. scary).

Back to top Go down
cookie_yip
cookie_yip

Honor Points : 4940

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O   Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 7:14 am

my advice to u is to start studying hard for your SPM and start doing the hobby right after that.
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O   Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 4:50 am

That's a sound advice, but the boy need to have a break sometimes and enjoy life Smile
Back to top Go down
cookie_yip
cookie_yip

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O   Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 5:53 am

6 months is just a short time. As a student studies is always the priority. I know how this hobby can suck up the time. Judging by his responses, i think mazjackbro is really into the hobby and i just want to remind the boy of his priorities. Laughing
Back to top Go down
deathkorps
deathkorps

Honor Points : 4817

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O   Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 5:57 am

cookie_yip wrote:
my advice to u is to start studying hard for your SPM and start doing the hobby right after that.

LMAO where did THAT come from? The school police is here!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.adeptusmalaysia.blogspot.com
cookie_yip
cookie_yip

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O   Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 6:15 am

deathkorps wrote:
cookie_yip wrote:

LMAO where did THAT come from? The school police is here!!!

Laughing

u gotta think long term.. imagine if the kid did poorly in exams, it is perfectly understandable if the parents blame the hobby for bringing that about and could potentially ban the poor kid from ever touching minis ever again.

BUT if he were to study hard and get ace the exams, he could potentially ask for brand new minis as a reward and spend less time trawling ebay for bargains and more time on the hobby!!! hahahaha Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
deathkorps
deathkorps

Honor Points : 4817

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O   Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 6:49 am

uh... sure thing dude.
Back to top Go down
http://www.adeptusmalaysia.blogspot.com
majzackbro

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O   Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 7:11 pm

@aznjake o.o ahh I see..thanks for the tip bro. Will keep it in mind as I go along. In a way liquid green stuff also feels as though it's less of a hassle to handle so I probably would go with it should the needs ever arise. Though I hope I won't have to 'need' it. Thanks again.

@lordak hey man. O.o walking.. Poor termies. Thanks for the advice man. How exactly do stern guards work with Pedro o.o? Also, does any other chapter apart from the ultra marines have honor guards?

@cookie_yip hahaha sound advice bro. I see your point. Moms already a little weary about this whole thing. Working hard and setting my priorities straight is definitely what I gotta do. No doubt about that.
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O   Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 10:09 am

Quote :
How exactly do stern guards work with Pedro o.o?
The same as other Sternguards, but they can scoring.. Which makes them so much better Smile

Quote :
Also, does any other chapter apart from the ultra marines have honor guards?
Modelwise.. NO.
Ruleswise.. yes, as long as you have Pedro or any Chapter Master.

I'm guessing that you don't have the rulebook?
Back to top Go down
majzackbro

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O   Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 8:20 pm

LordAK wrote:
Quote :
How exactly do stern guards work with Pedro o.o?
The same as other Sternguards, but they can scoring.. Which makes them so much better Smile

Quote :
Also, does any other chapter apart from the ultra marines have honor guards?
Modelwise.. NO.
Ruleswise.. yes, as long as you have Pedro or any Chapter Master.

I'm guessing that you don't have the rulebook?

I see... then count me in for a squad of Sternguards! I just love how the models look~ Really cool minis! XD Mm.. that's interesting. *Shakes head sadly. The latest ed one was really expensive and working on a tight budget here, could not exactly afford it >_<
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O   Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 5:41 am

Then don't buy them yet since rumor has it the new one is coming. Just concentrate on doing the minis dulu lah..

.. and your studies of course Smile
Back to top Go down
majzackbro

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O   Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O EmptyMon May 13, 2013 6:21 pm

Haha okay thanks AK. Will keep it in mind:3
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O   Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O Empty

Back to top Go down

Crimson Fists Army? Need Help :O
Page 1 of 1