Wargamers Malaysia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Malaysia's Premier Wargame Community Forum

HomeWargamers frontGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fresh from the box: High Elves

Go down 
+3
LordAK
Paxter
almond
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
almond
Private
Private
almond

Honor Points : 3962

Fresh from the box: High Elves Empty
PostSubject: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 6:51 am

While I'm slowly reaching the goal of a full fledged Sons of Caledor theme army, in the meantime I decided to use as much as my IoB stuff as humanly possibly in order to get a base line army to play with while my Dragon Princes slowly grow in number.

2 IoB sets is enough to make a cool 2k army, but it lacks a BSB. Fair enough I suppose, hopefully the elves's high Ld will account for something. I also decided to do an MSU-ish kinda style since the contents of the starters lend well to that regard. Firstly, here's the base:

2000 points worth of blood on an island.

General:

Prince on Griffon with Swiftsense

Heroes:

Noble on Griffon with Swiftsense

2x Level 1 Mage

Core:

2x Lothern Sea Guard (10) with Full Command

2x Ellyrian Reavers (5) with additional bows and musician (champions really, sticking horns from the Dragon Prince set to make them musicians)

Special:

2x Swordmasters of Hoeth (10) with Full Command

2x Dragon Princes of Caledor (5)*

Balance: 160 points for gear and magical stuffs, upgrades, etc.

* extra purchases apart from the starters.

The auto-included Swiftsense made so much... errr... sense on the Griffons to keep up with their respective riders. 160 is enough leeway to make tiny little adjustments to the army as I see fit.
Back to top Go down
Paxter
Admin
Admin
Paxter

Honor Points : 6167

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 8:25 am

most people convert their BSB, gives a bit more creative leeway esp with your dragon princes models those will give you bits to make your BSB really unique.

List wise I cant really comment much cause I pun just started Very Happy but what I can see it does look sufficient as a base army, but prob from the list you will drop the griffon to one or none at all. And definitely buff the sea guards say from 20 now to 30 then can make a horde unit or a bigger block of models
Back to top Go down
https://wargamersmalaysia.forumms.net
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Honor Points : 6459

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 9:38 am

The hero better be a Battle Standard Bearer. BSB is almost a must have in every army.

I would suggest you take 1x20 Sea Guards instead of 2x10. Deployed 5x4 or 6x3 (all ranks can fight)man so you have a passive +3 or +4 to combat resolution. That should be good enough in a 2k game. You cont expect them to do much except hold your line anyway.

The Swordmasters looks good but still too easy to take out at 10 man per unit. maybe do the same and combine into one big unit.

What is Swiftsense?

Back to top Go down
Chang Yee Fong

Honor Points : 4530

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 9:53 am

LordAK wrote:

What is Swiftsense?

Gives the Creatures "Always Strike First" Special rule. Which is good on a Griffin as their initiative is very high for a monster. Which means 3 out of 4 times the griffin gets to re-roll misses.
Back to top Go down
almond
Private
Private
almond

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 11:31 am

I plan to horde up the Sea guards one way or the other. The models in IoB are really specific. But yup, pooling up the LSG's now would mean that I have to include another core unit or... put in more LSG's (due to lack of points) Razz Going for the latter.

Putting up the other Hero as a BSB makes little sense to me at this point, since other than the 12" bubble (not sure if it gets the 18" inspiring presence rule, since that one is specifically mentioned in the General section only), there's nothing else to it. I really want to get the foot model for that extra +1 in combat resolution. (or mod the Swordmaster SB, which has a good pose)
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 11:38 am

Come tonight we play some fantasy at 2k points. Or do you have a game with Paxter?
Back to top Go down
almond
Private
Private
almond

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 11:46 am

Either one. I only have 500 points on me atm. The rest are in the prime drying state, so to speak Razz
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 11:53 am

No worries, I'll bring some 40k too just in case you have session with Paxter.

Not sure if WFB can work at 500 pts. Hmm..
What happened to the rest? not yet assembled? sayang lar.
Back to top Go down
almond
Private
Private
almond

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 12:16 pm

assembled but the primer was still drying as i was going to work this morning ^.^;;;;

still short of 1 unit of dragon princes anyhow to make an even 2k. that one will have to be in next month's purchase.
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 12:30 pm

What kind of primer took so long to dry? Mine cheap rm6 can took just a few minutes hahaha.

Take 1-3 Repeater Boltthrower lar, very fitting with the Lorthern Sea Guard theme.
Back to top Go down
almond
Private
Private
almond

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 12:45 pm

Gesso. Since I can only paint on the wee hours at night, spray priming doesn't seem like a good idea. ^.^;;;;
Back to top Go down
Chang Yee Fong

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 12:48 pm

Or get a Lothern Sky Cutter. As for painting where are you staying at the moment?
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 12:55 pm

Quote :
Or get a Lothern Sky Cutter.
Yeah.. I wanna see that in action Smile
Back to top Go down
almond
Private
Private
almond

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 6:18 am

Staying at Putrajaya. Wasn't planning to get the Skycutter at first, but now that you mention it, it's IMPOSSIBLE not to >.<

Next month. I'm fresh tapped out this month.
Back to top Go down
almond
Private
Private
almond

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 6:28 am

Had my first game with Empire last night at 500 points. Was totally decimated by the swordsman horde while I had lil' wee 10 man units.

Long story short, it was a 4 turn game where the Empire advanced the horde forwards while the handgunners effectively distracted my Reavers and Swordmasters, leaving the Sea Guard alone to its grissly fate. At least the Mage survived, but fled the battlefield, thinking that discretion and survival is truly the better part of valour. The game ended with a lonely Ellyrian Reaver that just shrugged and went home after chewing through the handgunner unit.

I should really chronicle my surviving characters and make them into a mini campaign of sorts one of these days.

A few lessons learned:

MSU style features mobility. I should've run around the big 40 man unit and nitpicked from the flanks and rear all at once.

Swordmasters don't belong in buildings. Sea Guards and a Mage might work well inside them however.

Reavers NEED the bow. Either replaced or additional. They can really perform if I was a bit braver in utilizing them.

CHAMPIONS! They're still boss.
Back to top Go down
Paxter
Admin
Admin
Paxter

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 7:14 am

yea reavers definitely need bows then they can harass the enemy, fieint charges, and also if possible flank charge support... I learn that too the hard way at the table behind u Very Happy

definitely need a horde unit of sorts 40 man or 30 man.. They really are your anchor while the rest of the army do their job
Back to top Go down
Chang Yee Fong

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 8:04 am

Yep Hordes is the way to go these days.

Take High Elves for instance, if you don't want to win any friends you take a 40 Block unit of White Lions of Chrace.

Due to the High Elves "Martial Prowess" and the Horde Rule combined, all 4 ranks of that unit can fight. 40 Attacks at Initiative 5 with strength 6 at WS 5, plus stubborn. Really scary.
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 3:45 am

So how was your 1st game? I hope you had fun. While your HE fought the empire, my DE was busy fighting another HE at the back table.

Lets have a game someday Smile
Back to top Go down
almond
Private
Private
almond

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 5:19 am

Sure. I'm setting up for another 32 models to paint this week. Hope to finish it by Thursday so we can play a 2k game Smile
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 11:31 am

2k is good.. Looking forward to it Smile
Back to top Go down
Paxter
Admin
Admin
Paxter

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 12:31 pm

wah paint 32 models in 3 days... respect
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 2:51 pm

I once painted full block of 20 Khorne-gor in 8 about 10 hours. So yes it can be done.. Now even one model took 1 hour plus hahaha
Back to top Go down
almond
Private
Private
almond

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 8:53 pm

I realised there's not enough points for 2k if I pool up the Sea Guards to make a 20-man regiment. So most likely, I'll be bringing this setup on Friday night:

Lords:

(Gen) Prince Tom the Simple
+ Griffon
+ Heavy Armour
+ Lion Cloak
+ Great Weapon
+ Longbow

Archmage Sven the Sparse

Heroes:

(BSB) Noble
+ Griffon
+ Heavy Armour
+ Lion Cloak
+ Great Weapon
+ Longbow

Mage (he survived last Friday's massacre by the hands of the Empire. Gonna see if he can survive long enough for me to promote him to level 4)
+ Level 2

Core:

2x Lothern Sea Guard x10
+ Shields
+ Full Command

2x Ellyrian Reavers x5
+ Additional Bows
+ Musician

Special:

2x Swordmasters x10
+ Full Command

2x Dragon Princes of Caledor x5*

*Still short of 1 unit.

In the event that I can't score another Dragon Prince, I'll be spending 145pts on the Heroes' magical items as well as banners for the Swordmasters.
Back to top Go down
almond
Private
Private
almond

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 4:33 pm

Since I can't make up my mind whether to go full Caledor or Lothern, gonna mix them up really good in this hybrid list, taking the best of both lists that I have posted prior. For 2000 points:

(Gen) Loremaster of Hoeth

(BSB) Lothern Sea Helm on Skycutter, with Ruby Ring of Khaine and Reaver Bow

25x Lothern Sea Guards with shields and full command

5x Ellyrian Reavers with replaced bows (2 units)

7x Dragon Princes of Caledor with full command (3 units). Drakes from each unit will have the 3 10 point magic swords in the BRB.

17x Swordmasters of Hoeth with full command.

And with 20 points to spare. Which either goes to the Loremaster or banners. Maybe 1 dragon when I go up to 2500.
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 4:49 pm

3 units of 7 Dragon Prince? Wow..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves Empty

Back to top Go down

Fresh from the box: High Elves
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next