Wargamers Malaysia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Malaysia's Premier Wargame Community Forum

HomeWargamers frontGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fresh from the box: High Elves

Go down 
+3
LordAK
Paxter
almond
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
almond
Private
Private
almond

Honor Points : 3962

Fresh from the box: High Elves - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 10:21 am

The discussion among several forums as well as with LordAK after the Friday night game led me to think up of something that's easier for me to pilot. Granted, it's not going to be as "WOW!" as a double dragon list, but it still has a dragon, albeit a small one.

Lords:
(Gen) Prince on Sun Dragon, dragon armour, enchanted shield, ogre blade = 440
Level 3 High Magic Archmage = 185

Heroes:
(BSB) Noble, heavy armour, lion cloak, shield, dragonhelm = 115

Core:
Lothern Sea Guard x40, shields, full command = 510
Ellyrian Reavers x5, bows = 85

Special:
Dragon Princes of Caledor x7, full command = 233
Dragon Princes of Caledor x7, full command = 233
Dragon Princes of Caledor x6, champion = 184
Swordmasters of Hoeth x20, full command = 290

Rare:
Sisters of Avelorn x10 = 140

Total: 2500

This was built backwards by filling in the special/rare slots first, then core, finally the balance bits with the characters. The BSB and Archmage will bunker in with the Swordmasters, hoping the ward bonuses will give some much needed protection to the old boys.

The Sisters could potentially be swapped with magic banners and items for champions instead (like that terror banner and razor banner for starters), but they're included for some much needed boots on the ground.
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Honor Points : 6459

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 3:26 pm

Wow.. This list is so much different than the one I fought that day.
Strong infantry blocks, fast moving heavy cavalries. Definitely better.

What good is the Sisters of Avelorn?
Back to top Go down
almond
Private
Private
almond

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 7:16 pm

BS 5, Str 4 bow (24"). Flaming attack, magical attack, forces of darkness gets -1 save. Smile

Another variation for the special slot would be to drop the dragonhelm from the BSB, and drop 5 Dragon Princes and the Sisters. Which would give me:

Dragon Princes of Caledor x5 with champion (3 units)
Swordmasters of Hoeth x20 with full command
Lothern Skycutter with Eagle Eye bolt thrower (2 units)
Lothern Skycutter.

Basically changing a 10-man rare shooting unit and a few hammer unit hitting power for 3 ultra mobile shooting boats, basically 10 shots for 9. The Skycutters are flying chariots and the bolt throwers are S5. The biggest disadvantage of this 2nd list is that it'll cost me a LOT more money Razz

Last edited by almond on Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 8:31 am

Proxy dulu, find out whether the idea can work or you like it or not. Then only make the purchase. WFB isn't cheap Smile

Sisters of averlorn is cheap for all that.. Flaming, magical, S4 bow with -2 to armour saves (against my DE) for only 14 points per model. Even my Shades (the one your BSB keep on chasing) are 15 points per model. Very nice lah this unit.
Back to top Go down
almond
Private
Private
almond

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 9:33 am

I'm leaning more towards the Sisters myself. Not only because of the cost, but they have a small footprint and can fit into my current bag just nice Smile The only other adjustment is whether 5 Dragon Princes is worth another 10 of the Sisters. Razz
Back to top Go down
almond
Private
Private
almond

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 12:30 pm

Made a 2400 list for the Penang gig, which I really want to go. The bright side is that it takes minimal effort to push to 2500 :DI think this will be my final list. Time to stick to my guns and plan my purchases before I go in excess. The box units are so reasonably priced it's hard not to go overboard Sad

*(Gen) Prince, Star Dragon, Dragon Armour, Enchanted Shield, Ogre Blade, Ironcurse Icon = 600
(BSB) Noble, barded steed, heavy armour, shield, Lion Cloak, Ruby Ring of Khaine = 145
*Dragon Mage, Level 2, Dragon Armour, Charmed Shield = 400

Lothern Sea Guard x30, shields, full command = 390
2x Ellyrian Reavers x5, spears and bows, musician = 210

*Dragon Princes of Caledor x15, full command, Ranger's Standard = 515
*Sisters of Avelorn x10 = 140

= 2400 points.

For a standard 2.5k game, *10 archers would hit the spot. Alright, that's it. Need to modify a Dragon Prince I already have to fit, but otherwise, it's all good.

* = Don't have it yet, but soon. Only missing 5 DP's, not the whole thing.
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 1:06 pm

Last time was gryphons.. Now dragons!!

The list looks solid. Should be fun!

What is this Penang gig? Have fun aniway cheers 
Back to top Go down
almond
Private
Private
almond

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 5:15 pm

There's a mention of it in the Wargamers Malaysia fb page. The organizers just released a player pack.

But yeah, I'm stubborn. I still want my double dragons, even though I know they're pretty vulnerable Razz
Back to top Go down
almond
Private
Private
almond

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 6:44 am

So from 2400 points the Penang Comet Con event was retcon'ed to 2500. That meant it was back to my usual list. Or does it? My core list is no longer legal so that'll have to be re written. After seeing what wonders a bolt thrower can do, I'm going to aim to put at least one of them in my list. There's been a slight change from the list above, but overall I like it.

(Gen) Prince on Star Dragon, Dragonhelm, Crown of Altrazar, heavy armour, lion cloak, shield, halberd, lance = 575
(BSB) Noble on barded steed, heavy armour, lion cloak, shield, Khaine's Ring of Fury = 145
Level 1 Dragon Mage with Enchanted Shield = 355
Level 1 Beast Mage on barded steed, Dispel Scroll = 125

Lothern Sea Guard x35, shields, full command = 450
Ellyrian Reavers x5, spears = 80
Ellyrian Reavers x5, spears and bows = 95

Dragon Princes of Caledor x15, full command = 465 (or 3 detachments of 5 with a champion each, haven't decided yet)
Eagle Claw Repeater Bolt Thrower = 70

Last edited by almond on Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : retooled to give the prince a 2+ armour save)
Back to top Go down
almond
Private
Private
almond

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 6:04 am

Something for fun. Suicide elves! Sacrificing magic and unnecessary characters for getting as many troops as possible.

(Gen) Prince, Star Dragon, Crown of Altrazar, Charmed Shield, Ironcurse Icon = 550
(BSB) Noble, Reaver Bow, Shield of the Merwyrm = 145

Dragon Princes of Caledor x5, champion (3 units) = 465
Shadow Warriors x10 = 140
Swordmasters of Hoeth x20, full command = 290

Eagle Claw Repeater Bolt Thrower x2 = 140

The prince is for a Star Dragon delivery package, the BSB is as a matter of course and the rest of the points is to improve the number of boots on the ground.

Also, this list is crazy. 104 models, including big ones. Hahah.
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 6:29 am

You know wat.. I actually prefer this kind of list compared to the previous ones Smile

But still, you need at least one spellcaster to make the list viable.
Back to top Go down
almond
Private
Private
almond

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 6:51 am

The Prince can easily be an Archmage on Star Dragon with the Crown and Icon though missing the Charmed Shield does hurt its first turn surviving against 2 cannons scenario dramatically, though the Shadow Warrior units will probably be dropped out to accommodate.

Or the BSB can be dropped out for a Level 2 High Magic/Beast mage on barded horseback. Not as resilient but the multiple elements of the army could take advantage of a broken and fleeing one.

Though the most economical thing to do is to do away with the Shadow Warriors ;_; which would give me:

Level 2 mage on barded steed = 135 points

The Reavers with the bow will be downgraded to only spears
Heavy armour for the Prince
Heavy armour for the Noble
= 5 points

Not the most exciting of choices but it can be done.
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 7:32 am

Even a level 2 is enough.. As proven in our game.
Back to top Go down
almond
Private
Private
almond

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 10:45 am

Hmmm... a naked BSB and level 2 mage would work to fit everything at the cost of 5 Swordmasters...

(Gen) Prince, Star Dragon, Charmed Shield, Crown of Altrazar, Ironcurse Icon = 550
(BSB) Noble = 95
Level 2 Mage = 120

Ellyrian Reavers x5 = 80

Dragon Princes of Caledor x5, champion (3 units) = 465
Shadow Warriors x10 = 140
Swordmasters of Hoeth x15, full command = 225

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower x2 = 140

100 models! Oh my movement trays!
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 1:06 pm

Yah.. Go get a mmovement tray hahaha
Back to top Go down
Padios
Private
Private
Padios

Honor Points : 4336

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 5:14 pm

Would suggest that your BSB should be mounted and wearing Dragon Armour in line with your Caledor theme.

BSB Could be carrying Banner of the World Dragon. Remember that the banner makes any dragons (friend or foe) within 12" Stubborn.

Back to top Go down
http://padios-minime.blogspot.com
almond
Private
Private
almond

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 7:33 pm

I do agree that the BSB should be buffed. I probably won't need 10 Shadow Warriors anyway. But I do want at least 5 to hunt cannons down.

But I do draw the line against clearly OP stuff such as BotWD, which is too good for its cost. If I do include it in my list, it would most likely be in my tourney list.
Back to top Go down
Padios
Private
Private
Padios

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 5:27 am

I usually run my BSB on barded steed with dragon armour, shield and maybe a halberd. If I have the points I will go for broke, add a Star Lance, either Charmed Shield or Enchanted Shield, maybe Other Tricksters Shard to force opponent to reroll ward saves. Remember not to place him next to your other characters though because it forces both friend and foe to reroll.

This gives him a 1+ Armours Save which disregards the first wound from a cannon and if you include a mounted High Magic Mage in your cavalry unit, you can buff him to a possible 3+ Ward.
Back to top Go down
almond
Private
Private
almond

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 7:49 am

Good point. Though a dragon would be a juicier target for a cannon than a mounted BSB in a unit imho, but still, I built a more sane list as follows:

(Gen) Prince on Star Dragon, dragon armour, Enchanted Shield, Star Lance, The Other Trickster's Shard = 600
(BSB) Noble on barded steed, dragon armour, shield, lance, halberd = 130
Level 2 Mage = 120 (Not sure what Lore yet, High Magic by default)

Ellyrian Reavers x5 = 80
Ellyrian Reavers x5, bows and spears = 95

Swordmasters of Hoeth x15, full command = 225
Dragon Princes of Caledor x5, champion = 155
Dragon Princes of Caledor x5, champion = 155
Shadow Warriors x5 = 70
Shadow Warriors x5 = 70

Sisters of Avelorn x5 = 70
Sisters of Avelorn x5 = 70
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower x3 = 210

Model count: 96

Conversely, for a safer build, The Other Trickster's Shard can be substituted with Crown of Altrazar and Ironcurse Icon.
Back to top Go down
Padios
Private
Private
Padios

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 5:44 am

Your BSB does not have enough protection IMHO. A Death mage can single him out for sniping.
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 6:10 am

If targeted by Death Mage, no charm can protect him enough I think. The best protection would be dispel and kill the mage. What do you have in mind Padios?
Back to top Go down
almond
Private
Private
almond

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 6:15 am

Talisman of Protection off the top of my head. But that's probably too rich for me to splurge on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fresh from the box: High Elves   Fresh from the box: High Elves - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Fresh from the box: High Elves
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3