Wargamers Malaysia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Malaysia's Premier Wargame Community Forum

HomeWargamers frontGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Starting out Eldar questions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
almond
Private
Private
almond

Honor Points : 3931

Starting out Eldar questions Empty
PostSubject: Starting out Eldar questions   Starting out Eldar questions EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 8:53 am

Not sure where to post this, hopefully this is the right section.

If I were to start Eldar afresh, what's the best and economical way to go about it?

I'm partial to the whole aspect warriors + Harlequin thing at the moment, but not sure if it'll be fun to play with.
Back to top Go down
dann.toh
Major
Major
dann.toh

Honor Points : 5232

PostSubject: Re: Starting out Eldar questions   Starting out Eldar questions EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 5:45 am

Hi there!
I dunno about 'economical' as things never pans out that way. What I can suggest is having a firm idea of what kind of army you wanna build. Then all 'economical' matters become secondary.

I love an aspect heavy army, my old list had banshees, fire dragons, warp spiders, dark reapers and dire avengers. They are fun, compact, but very glass-cannon. So you gotta play smart, and minimise risk.

In terms of HQ choice, a Farseer seems like a no-brainer, as he can buff the effectiveness and damage output of your glass-cannon units, but that's up to you.

If that's something you wanna do, then you can consider an aspect-heavy army. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
almond
Private
Private
almond

PostSubject: Re: Starting out Eldar questions   Starting out Eldar questions EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 11:07 am

Thanks for the reply! It's comforting to know that I can build an army with buying small boxes Smile
Back to top Go down
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

Honor Points : 5331

PostSubject: Re: Starting out Eldar questions   Starting out Eldar questions EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 5:32 am

Welcome! There are several ways to start an army, and it really depends on what you're into. When I started out my Eldar, it was purely based on what models I liked. And then I went to figure out how to use them. It can also be based on what kind of army you like to play. Eldar is the fastest army in the game, and you could have something based on lots of jetbikes, grave tanks and Vypers. Not the cheapest to collect, but they look awesome. Aspect-heavy is also interesting, and much more colorful. Again not cheap, as most aspects are fine cast. And grav-tank transports are helpful. Guardian-heavy armies are perhaps the cheapest economically. They work great, but (to my taste), is not as exciting as other choices. Another one of my favorites is a Ranger-themed army with lots of snipers. Again, very heavy on fine cast models. This is fun, but I would recommend you pick that up after you get some experience with Eldar as that specialization is quite difficult to play.

It's up to you. Best thing I can think of is to go visit the awesome Legio Malaysia and Hobby Forge folks tonight.

good luck
Back to top Go down
http://spunkybass.blogspot.com/
Paxter
Admin
Admin
Paxter

Honor Points : 6136

PostSubject: Re: Starting out Eldar questions   Starting out Eldar questions EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 7:13 am

guardian armies are probably the best value in terms of being economical and still strong enough to slap people around if you were to get x2 battle forces essentially you have built yourself a very strong core. With that you will get 10 dire avengers, 20 guardians, 2 wave serpants, and two Vypers. After that core group you can get some specialize units / vehicles into your army.
Back to top Go down
https://wargamersmalaysia.forumms.net
almond
Private
Private
almond

PostSubject: Re: Starting out Eldar questions   Starting out Eldar questions EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 10:00 am

Sounds like a plan. Albeit a long term one. Was thinking along the same line and maybe changing one of the Defender squad into Storm Guardians.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting out Eldar questions   Starting out Eldar questions Empty

Back to top Go down

Starting out Eldar questions
Page 1 of 1