Wargamers Malaysia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Malaysia's Premier Wargame Community Forum

HomeWargamers frontGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces]

Go down 
+5
Alvin K
dann.toh
wolkenritter89
Dr-DOOOM!!!
AznJake
9 posters
AuthorMessage
AznJake
Sergeant
Sergeant
AznJake

Honor Points : 4924

Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces] Empty
PostSubject: Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces]   Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces] EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 10:42 am

The table is usually field with 6 or less medium sized terrain pieces. But I'm wondering is this sufficient terrain to simulate a proper battlefield?

I've heard arguments saying the less terrain there are on the table, the more it favours vehicles and ranged heavy armies against armies which are assault based and vice versa to some extent. But more importantly, is having more terrain = more fun?

I say this because the less terrain you have on the table, the less brain work you have to do since you have abundant of open terrain to move around, putting shooty units in cover without much need to contemplate the line of sight.

That said, I've only played in Hobby Forge and seen the tables of Legio at the Magacon. Of course, I can't expect much more because I do not provide the terrains but I would assume they are expensive and would be time consuming to make a realistic one.
Back to top Go down
Dr-DOOOM!!!
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Dr-DOOOM!!!

Honor Points : 6197

PostSubject: Re: Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces]   Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces] EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 11:13 am

There is a guide in the rulebook that you should fit 25% of the board with terrain. if your game is particular on this, then just divide your table into 4 quarters then choose a quarter and fit all the terrains you can fit into that quarter. Those are the amount of terrains you can use to start your game. Smile
Back to top Go down
AznJake
Sergeant
Sergeant
AznJake

Honor Points : 4924

PostSubject: Re: Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces]   Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces] EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 11:42 am

I'm not asking what the book says, I'm asking what would be your view on the amount of terrains.
Back to top Go down
Dr-DOOOM!!!
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Dr-DOOOM!!!

PostSubject: Re: Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces]   Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces] EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 11:49 am

25% lor. we don't really bother much. even if the terrain doesn't favor you, when you can win the game, you will feel even much more accomplished.

a good example was i think last year's legio 40k tournament when i played my daemons. 1st round only I got the Death City board. Imagine 80% of the board is filled with buildings. Though some daemons died due to mishap, I played my best and won that game and resulted me winning both 2nd and 3rd round.

basically, don't get too delved into something which is beyond your control. focus more on your list building and the way you can make the best out of a bad situation. that can be in your control. your list must be flexible enough to handle different type of scenarios which in your concern will be the number of terrains.

just my 2cents.
Back to top Go down
wolkenritter89
Private
Private
wolkenritter89

Honor Points : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces]   Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces] EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 12:08 pm

Personal preference cones out tops IMO both sides should negotiate on how much terrain to use.
I personally love terrains with lots of defensive positions, trenches and hell blasted landscapes.
Back to top Go down
dann.toh
Major
Major
dann.toh

Honor Points : 5281

PostSubject: Re: Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces]   Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces] EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 12:08 pm

I think the fun with terrain is adapting to whatever terrain is given.

If there's not enough, I have to think about maneuvering wisely... If there's too much, I have to think about placement.

So for me, it's whatever the terrain-gods give, take it!

EDIT:
But let's not forget what terrain is good for - making your models look better Very Happy So I'm biased towards PAINTED terrain *Alvin, hint hint!*
Back to top Go down
Dr-DOOOM!!!
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Dr-DOOOM!!!

PostSubject: Re: Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces]   Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces] EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 12:12 pm

yalor, alvin been stopping painting up the terrains for very very looooong dy lor. *hint hint*
Back to top Go down
Alvin K
Alvin K

Honor Points : 5227

PostSubject: Re: Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces]   Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces] EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 4:16 pm

You know what, my favourite is playing WITHOUT terrain, no hindrance, no arguments. *hint hint*
Back to top Go down
http://gluedmyfingers.blogspot.com
Dr-DOOOM!!!
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Dr-DOOOM!!!

PostSubject: Re: Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces]   Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces] EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 4:18 pm

can.... you go play orks or nids la. *hint hint*
Back to top Go down
Alvin K
Alvin K

PostSubject: Re: Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces]   Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces] EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 4:21 pm

Nah, they're retired for now, currently in Blood Angels and Iron Warriors mode. If we play without terrain, I'll use my Iron Warriors la, seems funny.
Back to top Go down
wolkenritter89
Private
Private
wolkenritter89

Honor Points : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces]   Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces] EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 6:01 pm

Shooting contest between your iron warriors and my tanks. That would be funny.
Line them up and let rip.
Back to top Go down
dann.toh
Major
Major
dann.toh

PostSubject: Re: Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces]   Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces] EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 6:04 pm

oi alvin, pass your terrain around for us to paint la. Some of us won't mind painting a few for your shop la. Very Happy it's a community after all.
Back to top Go down
Alvin K
Alvin K

PostSubject: Re: Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces]   Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces] EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 6:06 pm

I don't mind passing some around, only if you guys are up to it.
Back to top Go down
limp83
Sergeant
Sergeant
limp83

Honor Points : 5027
Location : In my Nurglish room, painting, voiding all social contact.

PostSubject: Re: Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces]   Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces] EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 6:09 pm

thread hijacked : (painting stuff? me wan join!)
Back to top Go down
http://40knoobtonoob.blogspot.com
Alvin K
Alvin K

PostSubject: Re: Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces]   Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces] EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 6:17 pm

I'll think of something and come up with something about that.
Back to top Go down
cookie_yip
cookie_yip

Honor Points : 4980

PostSubject: Re: Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces]   Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces] EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 7:00 pm

Make a terrain painting day. U supply the terrains, paints and brushes, we supply the time..
Back to top Go down
dif2find
Major
Major
dif2find

Honor Points : 5377

PostSubject: Re: Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces]   Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces] EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 5:01 am

that sounds good actually.. we player come and do the painting for you... nice..nice...

besides that i do have some terrain that i build up at home... if you want.
Back to top Go down
http://dif2find-wargaming.blogspot.com/
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

Honor Points : 5380

PostSubject: Re: Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces]   Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces] EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 5:06 am

Back to topic. I personally don't think there's such a thing as too much or too little terrain. When I lay out terrain it's always to a theme, or a certain kind of look and feel. So if it's a city theme, there will be definitely too much terrain. It's got to be cluttered and claustrophobic. If it's a plains w patches of woods, then it's most likely what most people call "balanced" amount of terrain. If it's desert, then it will be sparse. And themes are limited only by your imagination really. It's part of the fun. I always say that they way you lay out terrain should tell a story - when you look at the table and terrain, it should look like there's a story behind it.
Back to top Go down
http://spunkybass.blogspot.com/
dann.toh
Major
Major
dann.toh

PostSubject: Re: Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces]   Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces] EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 5:54 am

spunkybass wrote:
when you look at the table and terrain, it should look like there's a story behind it.

true that.

like an abandoned, overrun fort in dense snow terrain,
or a surfaced alien ship in thick marshland,

those are the terrain i'd like to see or play in Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Alvin K
Alvin K

PostSubject: Re: Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces]   Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces] EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 5:55 am

Actually, now I got a lot of ideas on what to do with some of the terrain.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces]   Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces] Empty

Back to top Go down

Too much or too little? [Terrain pieces]
Page 1 of 1