Wargamers Malaysia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Malaysia's Premier Wargame Community Forum

HomeWargamers frontGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
imagine.games
Recruit
Recruit

Honor Points : 4547

Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia... Empty
PostSubject: Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia...   Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia... EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 2:43 pm

Yes, fully painted X-Wings, Y-Wings, TIE Fighters and TIE Advanced Fighters ready for intergalactic dog fight!

X-Wing contains some nice improvements over Wings of War, and plays in 30-40 minutes even at the tournament size of 100 points.

I played my first multi-player game last week in a 60-point shoot-out where I piloted a rookie X-Wing with no upgrades/equipment, and paired up with Luke Skywalker against Darth Vader and another TIE Fighter.

Like in WoW, the game is all about piloting but once you get within firing range, this is where the game differs from WoW - SW plays more like a miniature game where the player firing rolls dice+modifier according to distance/items/pilot skills, and the player being shot at rolls the same. As you know, in WoW, all you do is take a card, secretly see how much damage you take, and carry on.

Despite my rookie skills, I managed to down Vader himself to bring victory to the REBELS... How did that happen? I think Vader was a little too pre-occupied with trying to kill his son Razz

I played my 2nd game last night, going head-to-head in a 90-point shootout with an asteroid field providing some obstacles. Here's how many models were in action...

EMPIRE (me), 87 points:
- Darth Vader TIE Advanced (29) + Swarm tactics (2) + Concussion missiles (4).
- TIE Fighter 1, Back stabber (16).
- TIE 2, Mauler Mithel (17) + Marskmanship (3).
- TIE 3, Dark Curse (16).
- I did not add anymore equipment/skill as I wanted a lower score to gain initiative.

REBELS, 90 points:
- X-Wing Rookie Pilot (21) + R2-F2 (3) + Proton Torpedoes (4).
- X-Wing Wege Antilles (29) + Swarm tactics (2) + R5-K6 (2).
- Y-Wing Dutch Vander (23) + Ion Cannon Turret (5) + R2 Astromech (1).

I would call this a tactical victory as the EMPIRE forces, using Vader as a bait, and moving into space between 2 asteroid fields, lured the REBELS into moving in numbers to try to take him out. They tried, but failed, and before they know it, they were flanked by the TIE fighters who swung around the asteroid fields, and suddenly, the REBELS were on the run with the TIEs hot on their backs.

With Backstabber getting a attack bonus from attacking outside the firing arc of the target, and Mithel getting a bonus for staying within "licking" distance of the X-Wings, the REBELS soon dropped like flies...

Not even the Vander's Ion Cannon Turret, which allows him to fire outside the firing arc (ie. shoot backwards) could turn the tide for the REBELS since he was the first to be targeted and downed!

The REBELS did manage to take down Backstabber before the last X-Wing burst into flames...

Looking forward to tournament play, especially multi-player!

Back to top Go down
cookie_yip
cookie_yip

Honor Points : 4940

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia...   Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia... EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 2:49 pm

I got mine as well. Adding on to what u said, in my 2 games, i think it captured the dogfighting element very well. I am already planning forthe expansions. Smile
Back to top Go down
imagine.games
Recruit
Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia...   Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia... EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 3:09 pm

Nice to hear!

Did you get your core set from Toybox?

Let me know what expansions you are looking for as we are going to have a deal for them but only from next week since that's when more stocks will be arriving.

Cheers!
ew
Back to top Go down
Ozz
Recruit
Recruit
Ozz

Honor Points : 4286

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia...   Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia... EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 6:02 am

Soon I will be getting mine as well after I come back from Europe. Already reserved .. hehe Smile

And I might be organizing league (if possible) for this as well as for DUST Tactics but it will be based on Cyberjaya together with my community here.

Anyone interested do drop me a PM. Basically the SW: X-Wing league will be on 100 pts army and tournament style format.
Back to top Go down
imagine.games
Recruit
Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia...   Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia... EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 6:17 am

Me is going to Cyberjaya - see you when you kick-off Karry Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ozz
Recruit
Recruit
Ozz

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia...   Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia... EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 8:38 am

If all works well and Toybox do not accidentally sell what I have reserved .. hehe. I will should be able to kick-off the SWXW league right after I buy the stuff needed for my 100 pts army. League will most probably start on October 25th, 2012 Smile
Back to top Go down
cookie_yip
cookie_yip

Honor Points : 4940

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia...   Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia... EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 5:00 am

@ew

any updates on the deals? Cool
Back to top Go down
xylencia

Honor Points : 4183

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia...   Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia... EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 6:47 am

woohoo! about to get mine very soon, glad there are players here Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.joycescapade.com
Ozz
Recruit
Recruit
Ozz

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia...   Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia... EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:10 am

It's good to see more players are into SWX. I will be having a demo session at my place this Thursday. Just having a 1v1 head-to-head 100pts game.
Back to top Go down
xylencia

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia...   Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia... EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:56 am

Hi Ozz,

I tried building a squad with 100 points. Found it a bit tough, especially for the imperials. Namely because I don't have enough pieces... this is despite having the Core Set and all 4 expansions.

I found 80-points a bit closer to home in terms of squad building.

Thoughts? or how many pieces to you actually have? Razz
Back to top Go down
Ozz
Recruit
Recruit
Ozz

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia...   Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia... EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 3:52 pm

I am about to get 2 core sets, and one of each X-Wing, Y-Wing and a TIE Advance. All these sums up to 99-100pts squads.

Basically any 60-100pts squad are fine with me, as long we get to play and have have.

For the Imperials, if u wanna make a 100pts squads, u just need 4 TIE Fighters and a TIE Advance (Darth Vader) or perhaps a decent 99pts squad consist of 2 TIE Fighters and 2 TIE Advance.
Back to top Go down
xylencia

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia...   Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia... EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 10:54 am

a couple of us are going to be playing at Tropicana Mall at 11am this Friday. If anyone going to join, drop me a PM here so we can exchange contact details.

I believe I have already asked "Ozz" on Facebook but he can't make it Razz
Back to top Go down
Ozz
Recruit
Recruit
Ozz

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia...   Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia... EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 7:02 am

Where are you gonna run Mr. Vader .. hehe

This is Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game, finally for my 100pts squad for both Rebels and Imperials

Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia... 404347_10151097141266817_2078759661_n
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia...   Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia... Empty

Back to top Go down

Star Wars X-Wing Flies Into Malaysia...
Page 1 of 1