Wargamers Malaysia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Malaysia's Premier Wargame Community Forum

HomeWargamers frontGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Legio Army Throwdown I

Go down 
+9
doc
cookie_yip
Padios
dann.toh
limp83
khairul
spunkybass
LordAK
deathkorps
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
deathkorps
deathkorps

Honor Points : 4846

Legio Army Throwdown I Empty
PostSubject: Legio Army Throwdown I   Legio Army Throwdown I EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 11:58 am

Hey guys,

One of the things I’m most excited about for 2013 is a new event format we’re introducing this year at Legio. Called the “Legio Army Throwdown’, it’s a long term event that combines aspects of ‘Tale of Two Gamers’ articles and the Iron Painter into an event specifically designed to help and motivate YOU to get a new army project done.

Basically, it’s a series of mini hobby challenges that culminates in a vote for the best overall army. Participants bring completed units to each specified “throwdown”, and let the voting public of Hobby Night attendees vote which is best. Today starts our very first one, which will be for Warhammer 40,000. Participants start with a 2,000 legal list, no more than 25% completed. For each ‘throwdown’, they bring the specified completed unit to Hobby Night for judging. Here’s the schedule for our first Legio Army Throwdown:

* January 18th- Troops
* February 1st- Troops
* February 15th- Elites
* March 1st- HQ
* March 15th- Heavy Support
* March 29th- Fast Attack
* April 12th- Wild Card (any previously undisplayed choice from your army)
* April 26th- Wild Card

For all participants who complete their 40K armies AND attend at least four throwdowns, they are invited to the final judging Hobby Night on May 10th. There, everyone attending Hobby Night will enjoy free snack and beverages, along with the chance to vote for their favorite army. The winner will receive a Purity Seal for their glorious victory, while the remainder will get framed certificates proving they completed the Army Throwdown. ‘Honor Badges’ will be added to certificates for winning previous throwdowns, attending all of them, etc. Either way, it’s a great way to stay motivated towards getting the army done. We’ll also post standings of all the competitors on the Legio blog, showing their attendance/progress.

In additon, each Legio Army Throwdown challenge will feature an optional theme. This theme will be determined by the Legio membership, and will normally involve a campaign, tournament, or some other themed follow up event. Participation in the “theme” is OPTIONAL. Any 40K army is eligible to participate in the challenge. However, for those who are interested, the theme for our first Throwdown is the Horus Heresy. To participate in the theme, your 40K army must comply with the following restrictions:

* Your army must be an Imperial Heresy-era army. Space Marines should be most if not all of the entries. Imperial Army is permitted with approval of the theme organizers (Alvin, Jeff, or Khairul)

* Space Marine armies must entirely consist of Mk II, III, or IV armor. ForgeWorld models are the best way to do this, but conversions are allowed if they are VERY high quality. Final approval for conversions falls with the organizers. We strongly recommend the ForgeWorld models.

* Lists shall be made exclusively with the Horus Heresy series of books from ForgeWorld.

* No DIY Legions whatsoever will be allowed- everything must be as canon as possible.

If you’re mad enough to get excited with this and want to participate, contact the theme organizers for details or post up here! If you've got any questions about this or something doesn't make sense, post up here and we'll get you sorted!

Jeff
Back to top Go down
http://www.adeptusmalaysia.blogspot.com
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Honor Points : 6466

PostSubject: Re: Legio Army Throwdown I   Legio Army Throwdown I EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 12:17 pm

I'm liking this. Would be very helpfull for my 13th Co. SW.
Sad part, very rare that I can make it to Legio Sad
Back to top Go down
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

Honor Points : 5369

PostSubject: Re: Legio Army Throwdown I   Legio Army Throwdown I EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 12:39 pm

hmmmm, Deathwing beckons
Back to top Go down
http://spunkybass.blogspot.com/
khairul
khairul

Honor Points : 4580

PostSubject: Re: Legio Army Throwdown I   Legio Army Throwdown I EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 4:54 pm

The Sons of Dorn will be sending a 2K strong strike force.

Hail the emperor! Death to all xenos!!!!
Back to top Go down
deathkorps
deathkorps

PostSubject: Re: Legio Army Throwdown I   Legio Army Throwdown I EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 4:50 am

spunkybass wrote:
hmmmm, Deathwing beckons

So is that a signup? You in for Deathwing?
Back to top Go down
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

Honor Points : 5369

PostSubject: Re: Legio Army Throwdown I   Legio Army Throwdown I EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 5:19 am

Yes. I'm probably gonna be hurting, splitting between this and the AirCav, but His will be done! I'm just going to wait a few days for the new codex before I build the 2k list thiugh
Back to top Go down
http://spunkybass.blogspot.com/
deathkorps
deathkorps

PostSubject: Re: Legio Army Throwdown I   Legio Army Throwdown I EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 5:29 am

spunkybass wrote:
Yes. I'm probably gonna be hurting, splitting between this and the AirCav, but His will be done! I'm just going to wait a few days for the new codex before I build the 2k list thiugh

No problem- just have the list confirmed before the army throwdown in May and you're good to go. Not every unit has to be displayed at a throwdown (unless you only have four units!), so that's not a problem at all.

Awesome!
Back to top Go down
limp83
Sergeant
Sergeant
limp83

Honor Points : 5016
Location : In my Nurglish room, painting, voiding all social contact.

PostSubject: Re: Legio Army Throwdown I   Legio Army Throwdown I EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 5:33 am

Hi, just to clarify, about the 25% painted part, it is count by model or point?

I'm building a 1750 chaos night lord army (which can easily bump up to 2k just by throw in one more daemon prince =P or another squad of fully kit up marine)... it has about 45 models for the moment but unfortunately I've painted like 15 models over the past months...
Back to top Go down
http://40knoobtonoob.blogspot.com
deathkorps
deathkorps

PostSubject: Re: Legio Army Throwdown I   Legio Army Throwdown I EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 5:35 am

limp83 wrote:
Hi, just to clarify, about the 25% painted part, it is count by model or point?

I'm building a 1750 chaos night lord army (which can easily bump up to 2k just by throw in one more daemon prince =P or another squad of fully kit up marine)... it has about 45 models for the moment but unfortunately I've painted like 15 models over the past months...

Good question. We'll say no more than 25% of your point total being already started/done
Back to top Go down
limp83
Sergeant
Sergeant
limp83

PostSubject: Re: Legio Army Throwdown I   Legio Army Throwdown I EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 6:05 am

What a Face this is what I have for the moment:

Legio Army Throwdown I 20130103_104852
Overall army size, 8 more marines to be built

Legio Army Throwdown I 20130103_104913
The painted units (one squad of ten man marine and a helbrute, 3 of the raptors)

Legio Army Throwdown I 20130103_105412
The unpainted infantry (8 moar needs to be build, one termi and one partially painted Havoc test model)

Legio Army Throwdown I 20130103_105236
Dragon thingy, one of the base is partially done

Back to top Go down
deathkorps
deathkorps

PostSubject: Re: Legio Army Throwdown I   Legio Army Throwdown I EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 6:11 am

Looks good Smile Is that a signup then? Can we count you in?
Back to top Go down
limp83
Sergeant
Sergeant
limp83

PostSubject: Re: Legio Army Throwdown I   Legio Army Throwdown I EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 6:14 am

Yes please, count me in =)
Back to top Go down
dann.toh
Major
Major
dann.toh

Honor Points : 5270

PostSubject: Re: Legio Army Throwdown I   Legio Army Throwdown I EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 7:09 am

Heresy-era eh?... Time to do some research...
Back to top Go down
deathkorps
deathkorps

PostSubject: Re: Legio Army Throwdown I   Legio Army Throwdown I EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 7:19 am

dann.toh wrote:
Heresy-era eh?... Time to do some research...

FYI the Heresy theme is TOTALLY OPTIONAL. Any 40K army is welcome to the throwdown Smile
Back to top Go down
Padios
Private
Private
Padios

Honor Points : 4343

PostSubject: Re: Legio Army Throwdown I   Legio Army Throwdown I EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 7:58 am

I'm in Penang but would love to participate in this (not there in body but in spirit) hahaha!

Can I submit my throwdown via pics? (Pretty, pretty please with sugar coated cherry on top.) Of course I may be able to sneak in some travel time to attend some of the Hobby Nights.

If that's not possible then you still have my unofficial participation. Wink

I realised though that my planned Pre-Heresy 1K Sons are not using MkII, MkIII or MKIVs. Sigh...

Grabbed a whole bunch of Microart Studios Crusader and Knight robed legs and custom resin termi torsos, shoulderpads and head casts in an Egyptian theme. They will be painted in the traditional color of crimson and white/gold trim though with the stylised flaring sun icon.

I will be building 3 Legion Contemptors as well once Alvin's FW order comes in.

Back to top Go down
http://padios-minime.blogspot.com
dann.toh
Major
Major
dann.toh

PostSubject: Re: Legio Army Throwdown I   Legio Army Throwdown I EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 8:47 am

deathkorps wrote:

FYI the Heresy theme is TOTALLY OPTIONAL. Any 40K army is welcome to the throwdown Smile

Oh! Darn, i missed the optional part. Cool! I have my Dark Eldar which is about... 20% complete.

EDIT: Arrghh! Darn! No! I recalculated the points and I'm actually about 30+% done... I'll think of something else then... Maybe my Tau.
Back to top Go down
deathkorps
deathkorps

PostSubject: Re: Legio Army Throwdown I   Legio Army Throwdown I EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 8:59 am

Padios wrote:
I'm in Penang but would love to participate in this (not there in body but in spirit) hahaha!

Can I submit my throwdown via pics? (Pretty, pretty please with sugar coated cherry on top.) Of course I may be able to sneak in some travel time to attend some of the Hobby Nights.

I realised though that my planned Pre-Heresy 1K Sons are not using MkII, MkIII or MKIVs. Sigh...

Grabbed a whole bunch of Microart Studios Crusader and Knight robed legs and custom resin termi torsos, shoulderpads and head casts in an Egyptian theme. They will be painted in the traditional color of crimson and white/gold trim though with the stylised flaring sun icon.

I'd love to have you in but a big part of this is getting the hobby community involved at Legio for the voting nights. However, participate with us from Penang, and we'll include pics of your models as well when we write up our throwdown recaps. This exception is for the Penang crowd only though- there's no real reason our local guys here can't turn up four times in four months to display in person Smile You're also invited to come to the final voting night on May 10th. While your army won't technically be in the running for the Purity Seal, I'd love to see it displayed for all to see. It's an achievement worth celebrating! We'll also have some snacks and drinks that night Smile
Back to top Go down
khairul
khairul

PostSubject: Re: Legio Army Throwdown I   Legio Army Throwdown I EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 9:02 am

Dann, just take out one painted squad or any relevant point cost unit from your DE and replace it with a new unpainted one. Don't think it would be too difficult to get down to 25% since you're only at 30+%. Crisis averted and you're in Smile.

Would really love to see your humon DE army all painted up man!!! Haven't seen anyone in Malaysia have a fully painted DE so far Wink.

C'mon Dann, you can do it!!!
Back to top Go down
dann.toh
Major
Major
dann.toh

PostSubject: Re: Legio Army Throwdown I   Legio Army Throwdown I EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 9:11 am

khairul wrote:
Dann, just take out one painted squad or any relevant point cost unit from your DE and replace it with a new unpainted one. Don't think it would be too difficult to get down to 25% since you're only at 30+%. Crisis averted and you're in Smile.

Would really love to see your humon DE army all painted up man!!! Haven't seen anyone in Malaysia have a fully painted DE so far Wink.

C'mon Dann, you can do it!!!

Good idea, Khairul! That's why you the Man!

I'll e-mail my list over to you guys soon.
Back to top Go down
khairul
khairul

PostSubject: Re: Legio Army Throwdown I   Legio Army Throwdown I EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 9:26 am

dann.toh wrote:
Khairul! That's why you the Man!

That's what all the ladies say Cool.
Back to top Go down
cookie_yip
cookie_yip

Honor Points : 4969

PostSubject: Re: Legio Army Throwdown I   Legio Army Throwdown I EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 11:15 am

i am in...huzzah cheers
Back to top Go down
deathkorps
deathkorps

PostSubject: Re: Legio Army Throwdown I   Legio Army Throwdown I EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 11:29 am

cookie_yip wrote:
i am in...huzzah cheers

You REALLY going to paint those dusty Scorpions up? Wink I'd love to see that army finally done dude! What have you finished thus far?

Welcome aboard- Huzzah!
Back to top Go down
doc
Sergeant
Sergeant
doc

Honor Points : 4957

PostSubject: Re: Legio Army Throwdown I   Legio Army Throwdown I EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 11:48 am

deathkorps wrote:
Padios wrote:

I'd love to have you in but a big part of this is getting the hobby community involved at Legio for the voting nights. However, participate with us from Penang, and we'll include pics of your models as well when we write up our throwdown recaps. This exception is for the Penang crowd only though- there's no real reason our local guys here can't turn up four times in four months to display in person Smile You're also invited to come to the final voting night on May 10th. While your army won't technically be in the running for the Purity Seal, I'd love to see it displayed for all to see. It's an achievement worth celebrating! We'll also have some snacks and drinks that night Smile

Yay....I am getting some 30K stuff from Alwin also would post up the picture, just to give the Legio guys a run for their money.
Thanks Jeff, you 'D man.
Back to top Go down
deathkorps
deathkorps

PostSubject: Re: Legio Army Throwdown I   Legio Army Throwdown I EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 11:51 am

Awesome dude! We'll have you as a special guest army builder as well!
Back to top Go down
Padios
Private
Private
Padios

Honor Points : 4343

PostSubject: Re: Legio Army Throwdown I   Legio Army Throwdown I EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 12:05 pm

deathkorps wrote:

Heheh! Thanks a bunch Jeff, this will really be the push I need to finish up this army.

Now if this army is legal for K4 then thats just icing on the cake! LOL
Back to top Go down
http://padios-minime.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Legio Army Throwdown I   Legio Army Throwdown I Empty

Back to top Go down

Legio Army Throwdown I
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next