Wargamers Malaysia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Malaysia's Premier Wargame Community Forum

HomeWargamers frontGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

WW1 Themed IG

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

Honor Points : 5340

WW1 Themed IG Empty
PostSubject: WW1 Themed IG   WW1 Themed IG EmptyWed Dec 25, 2013 1:41 pm

With the AirCav almost done, now I'm itching to build another themed IG army - this time WW1 British.

MODELS
At first I was thinking of converting from Tallarn or Valhallan models, swapping heads with west wind WW2 Brits, but that seems like hard work as all of those are metal. I even considered using the entire (and excellent) Renegade Miniatures WW1 late war British infantry range. They look awesome, and the Lee Enfields would count as lasguns, and I convert special weapons based on their figures and weapon swaps.  But I think that's a bit too much. So now I'm thinking of using Cadian plastic infantry and West Wind WW2 British heads as base. I will need to get some extra boxes of infantry back packs from the 1:35 ranges. All lasguns will have bayonets fixed. I'm considering whether or not I should bother shaving off the shoulder armor and/or sculpt the putties above the boots. Probably not. That sounds like too much work. I think I can achieve the WW1 look w the helmets, the fixed bayonets, the back packs and painting the front part of the flak armor so that it looks like the gas mask bag on the historical WW1 Brit kit.

There willbe lots of heavy bolters in this army, converted to look like Vickers MMG. Just need to find suitable tubes, maybe even straws, for the distinctive cooling jackets. Auto cannons, lascannons will definitely require gun carriage conversions.

This army will definitely have Rough Riders, and currently I'm thinking straight up conversions from Renegade Miniatures early war British lancers.

Tanks will be a lot of fun. The Leman Russ itself was based on a WW1 theme. I'm thinking moving the vision slit to the center of the front of the hull. The turret will be flushed down as flat as possible so that most of the time I can traverse it backwards and it will look like there's no turret, like the real WW1 tanks. Then I'll also add wheeled carriages to the back of the tank to complete the look.

There will be no APCs or walkers. I might have Basilisks, but probably just earth shaker platforms. I might add a Vendetta or two, but converted to look like biplane things

LIST
This will be infantry heavy, and split between gunline and assault elements. SC like Chenkov would be really fluffy as waves upon human waves of the Emperor's most loyal are sent into the fray. The army will be lumbering (hmm, maybe no rough riders then), advancing w fixed bayonets amid explosions and incoming fire across no man's land, with chattering Vickers heavy bolters and heavy tanks in support.

What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
http://spunkybass.blogspot.com/
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Honor Points : 6437

WW1 Themed IG Empty
PostSubject: Re: WW1 Themed IG   WW1 Themed IG EmptyWed Dec 25, 2013 4:34 pm

The idea sounds great.. But seems like gila hard to execute. I wish you all the best.
Back to top Go down
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

WW1 Themed IG Empty
PostSubject: Re: WW1 Themed IG   WW1 Themed IG EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 6:48 am

After a couple weeks' research and consultations with some hobby sages and oracles, this is the thinking so far:

Infantry will be based on plastic Cadians. Each one will have: West Wind heads (steel helmets & gas masks), lasgun ammo clip cut off, fixed bayonets, backpacks, water bottle, ammo pouches, empty bayonet case. Colors will be khaki uniform, wooden stocks on guns, brown boots - haven't decided on helmet, armor and webbing colors yet.

Lascannons will be mounted on gun-carriages that look like the British 18pdr gun. Brigade games have these, and I can also find some really nice cheap plastic ones too.

Heavy bolters will be converted to look like Vickers MGs.

Leman Russ Demolishers will have following conversions: much smaller and box-like turret. Driver's side of hull may be built forward to be flush aligned with the hull weapon mount. Rear deck may be filled out so that there are no gaps between the engine housing and the tracks. Trench-crossing thing in the rear built from the dozer blade mounting with wheels added. This will be British green, with squadron ID stripes in the front corner of the hull sides. Very heavily weathered.

The current thinking on the 1850 list has 124 infantry. This includes Company HQ, Lord Commissar, 2 priests, mortar section, heavy bolter section, 2 assault platoons, 1 support platoon, 2 commissars, 3 Demolishers
Back to top Go down
Paxter
Admin
Admin
Paxter

Honor Points : 6145

WW1 Themed IG Empty
PostSubject: Re: WW1 Themed IG   WW1 Themed IG EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 12:01 pm

rumour has it that the next dex is the IG and they are releasing another tank similar in looks to the malacador from forge world which pretty much looks like something from WW1.
Back to top Go down
https://wargamersmalaysia.forumms.net
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

WW1 Themed IG Empty
PostSubject: Re: WW1 Themed IG   WW1 Themed IG EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 3:55 am

If that's true that would be awesome. I heard the codex is Mar/April. Hope that's true. I can focus on the infantry first
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Honor Points : 6437

WW1 Themed IG Empty
PostSubject: Re: WW1 Themed IG   WW1 Themed IG EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 5:13 am

So soon? GW is really pushing all the codex into 6th. Good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

WW1 Themed IG Empty
PostSubject: Re: WW1 Themed IG   WW1 Themed IG Empty

Back to top Go down

WW1 Themed IG
Page 1 of 1