Wargamers Malaysia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Malaysia's Premier Wargame Community Forum

HomeWargamers frontGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Eldar Rangers for 6th ed, take 2

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

Honor Points : 5371

Eldar Rangers for 6th ed, take 2 Empty
PostSubject: Eldar Rangers for 6th ed, take 2   Eldar Rangers for 6th ed, take 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 4:44 am

Looking at some models in my collection, and liking some of them a lot. Itching to try out this list:

HQ:
Farseer - RoW, spirit stones, fortune, mind war (swap w divination)

ELITES:
Harlequins (10) - kisses, Shadowseer
Fire Dragons (9) - Exarch w firepike
- Wave Serpent - twin bright lance
Striking Scorpions (10) - Exarch w shadowstrike, stalker, scorpions claw

TROOPS:
Rangers (5)
Rangers (5)
Rangers (5)
Rangers (5)
Rangers (5)

HEAVY SUPPORT:
Falcon - pulse laser, scatter laser, shuriken cannon
Fire Prism
Fire Prism

Should be fun Smile
Back to top Go down
http://spunkybass.blogspot.com/
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Honor Points : 6468

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Rangers for 6th ed, take 2   Eldar Rangers for 6th ed, take 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 2:46 pm

A balanced list, this is going to be hard to play against.
Back to top Go down
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Rangers for 6th ed, take 2   Eldar Rangers for 6th ed, take 2 EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 4:51 am

I was arranging the models. Looks pretty good too. Can't wait to try this out.
Back to top Go down
dif2find
Major
Major
dif2find

Honor Points : 5368

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Rangers for 6th ed, take 2   Eldar Rangers for 6th ed, take 2 EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 5:08 am

yup all those ranger would be nasty.. what about those harli... walking i presume.
Back to top Go down
http://dif2find-wargaming.blogspot.com/
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Rangers for 6th ed, take 2   Eldar Rangers for 6th ed, take 2 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 3:17 am

Ya, walking harlies, infiltrating scorps, dragons in fortuned transport (or maybe the harlies will be fortuned - presciented!)
Back to top Go down
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Rangers for 6th ed, take 2   Eldar Rangers for 6th ed, take 2 EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 3:17 am

Finally got to take this army out for a spin last night against Paxter's DE. I must admit I was kind of intimidated by the DE massed dark lances, blasters, wyches, bikes and a jetfighter, and nightfighting too.

But the game was dominated by the Ranger force. MVP was definitely the Harlies. This squad is insane! With Fortune, they are near impossible to kill, and they were chewing through the DE lines like crazy, ending the game deep in enemy territory after charging and destroying the last Ravager.

The Scorpions were awesome too. We were playing Relic, and the Scorpions were assigned to protect the Ranger squad carrying the relic. They didn't charge for the entire battle and were eventually wiped out, but they performed their role extremely well as a defensive line. Epic moment - early in the game I made the mistake of positioning the exarch right in front. In the DE's (very) heavy volley of fire, the exarch's armor stopped 8 wounds before he died! I can just imagine the heroic warrior ordering his squad to fall back and protect the Rangers while round after round of poisonous ammo impacted on his armor!

I think the Fire Dragon squad was a bit wasted in this battle. They killed a Ravager and was subsequently charged to death (forgot to snap shot - they had prescience cast on them, could have killed a couple of wyches, ah well). I'll need a couple more test runs with this squad.

The Rangers were awesome! 6th ed is kind to my snipers. I keep forgetting to assign my precision hit wounds, but it's ok. They brought down a venom, were able to use their sniper rifles on the move, had decent saves in the open and are generally that much more effective as the Troops backbone of my army.

The Eldar tanks performed amazingly well! Jink saves rock! I eventually lost the Falcon and the Wave Serpent, but both Prisms survived the battle (one was immobilized and the other had its cannon blown off - afterwhich it rammed and cleaved a Venom in two!)

My Farseer's newly-discovered Divination spells (read: Prescience) is a game-changer. It's so much more superior than Guide - we shall never Guide again Laughing He took one wound from Perils, and the Ghosthelm averted another warp attack. Truly, the Eldar are the masters of magic. My Thousand Sons aspiring sorcerers kept dying from Perils - no Ghosthelm.

In fact I'm toying around with the idea of a Farseer dedicated to the Falcon. It seems a bit too expensive though, but Fortune and Prescience on the tank would make it extremely annoying! Nah, maybe not.

I must say the DE Jetfighter is extremely annoying. It was easily the DE MVP, taking out 3 squads. Like I said, it was really annoying though. By the time the thing came on, my Falcon was reduced to a crater, my Wave Serpent was too far away, and my Fire Prisms couldn't use their main cannon against it. I even tried to shoot it down with pistols and sniper rifles (no, it didn't work). Actually, the only effective long range unit I had against the Jetfighter was the Falcon, and Prescience would have ensured that I'd shoot it down. Ok, so we established that my Ranger force don't do anti-aircraft very well.

All in all it was quite a bloodbath. I won the battle (owned the Relic, scored First Blood, killed his Warlord and occupied his territory), lost 2 Ranger squads, the Scorpions, the Fire Dragons, the Falcon and the Wave Serpent. The only DE survivors was a single Warrior and the Jetfighter. Can't wait for the next fight!

Back to top Go down
Paxter
Admin
Admin
Paxter

Honor Points : 6176

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Rangers for 6th ed, take 2   Eldar Rangers for 6th ed, take 2 EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 11:13 am

It was pretty insane game i have to admit... A lot of cinematic moments in the whole game, the jet fighter came in in turn 3 but took out the scorpion squad, 2 and a half ranger squads before the turn ended..

i guess to make sure it is effective again vs another opponent i need to take out those tanks like how i targeted ur falcon in turn one Very Happy

On my part it is a sharp learning curve the last time the de had a fight was some 5 months ago vs the DE of doom! i like my list and will most likely keep it. The Duke had some issues mainly cause i was getting hit left right and center i could not concentrate on the objective.

Overall they did took out a chunk of the eldar when they could preform... but those harlies were too much! its like having 10 terminators with reroll armour saves running around killing anything it got its hands on.
Back to top Go down
https://wargamersmalaysia.forumms.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Rangers for 6th ed, take 2   Eldar Rangers for 6th ed, take 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Eldar Rangers for 6th ed, take 2
Page 1 of 1