Wargamers Malaysia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Malaysia's Premier Wargame Community Forum

HomeWargamers frontGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers.

Go down 
+17
beobot579
FourEyedMonster
rkidz
greenster92
CikguDin
wolkenritter89
cookie_yip
Dr-DOOOM!!!
AznJake
Vuel
dif2find
MrChaos
dann.toh
Paxter
LordAK
Alvin K
limp83
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
limp83
Sergeant
Sergeant
limp83

Honor Points : 5016
Location : In my Nurglish room, painting, voiding all social contact.

Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers.   Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 2:30 pm

Big thanks to Syameal & Wolkenritter for the game^^
(And Boss Alvin for loaning the place early for our game)

Lesson Learnt :

1.) Dawn of war is not so popular amongs folks.. LOL
1.1) After deployment(1 HQ 2 Troops), infiltrator/scout can still deploy, then on turn 1, unit that are not declare in reserve can actually "walk in" to own table edge
1.2) Rhino/LR's search light can be use on first round to "illuminate" selected unit, rhino/LR that used searchlight still need to roll for night fight vision (2D6 x 3), but any unit that shoot later need not to roll for night vision

2.) Armor 14 means nothing, hide my LR.

3.) Spread out to minimize blast damage

4.) Move my vehicle that in proximity of enemy, no matter how, to prevent autohit when assaulted.

5.) I can pop rhino smoke at the end of movement phase (not on shooting phase) for cover save (once only)

6.) I need more stuff for anti vehicle

7.) Plague Marine are hard to be killed (provided you don't go against too much power weapon)

8.) Gotta RTFM and do some homework, I really need to memorize my army stat, and related BS, to-hit, to-wound and stop waiting for folks to tell me how much i need to roll and calculate how much is my attack for me =p

9.) Lightning claw re-roll to-wound only, NOT to-hit (and they give +1 attack)

10.) Berzerkers can sometime just come out and yell "Blood for the blood god!", and kill nothing at all before they wiped out by blast weapon.
10.1) (and they don't do counter charge) (LOL)

Hobby Lesson Learnt :

1.) Look into the possibility of matt varnish

2.) Iron painter on November (?)

3.) better get back into hobby mode to finish the raptors and the newly added icon (and fix all those broken part.... T__,T so much is broken once I bring em out to play)

Conclusion : More rule book reading, more imagine battle and check the rule book about unsure rules, memorize my army stat, to-hit and to-wound, play more, hobby even more.

ps : ciggie break needed in between the game =___,="
Back to top Go down
http://40knoobtonoob.blogspot.com
Alvin K
Alvin K

Honor Points : 5216

PostSubject: Re: Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers.   Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 2:47 pm

Good to know you had fun. I'm sure if you play more often, you'll get better with time.
Back to top Go down
http://gluedmyfingers.blogspot.com
cookie_yip
cookie_yip

Honor Points : 4969

PostSubject: Re: Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers.   Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 3:22 pm

1.1 is mistaken.

At the end of deployment, u may only have 1HQ and 2Troops irregardless whether they are scouts/infiltrators.
Back to top Go down
limp83
Sergeant
Sergeant
limp83

PostSubject: Re: Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers.   Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 3:31 pm

cookie_yip wrote:
1.1 is mistaken.

At the end of deployment, u may only have 1HQ and 2Troops irregardless whether they are scouts/infiltrators.

Oh, crap, reread the rule book, ya, i think i got it wrong (fourth paragraph, first line...) clearly stated it... =p my bad...

T___T painting is much easier compare to reading rule books..LOL
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Honor Points : 6466

PostSubject: Re: Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers.   Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 2:15 am

Okay lah tu for a beginner. Play more games and you'll be there in short time.
You had one game only? should at least get 2 games while you're there. Aniway, if got confusion, just ask around Smile
Back to top Go down
dif2find
Major
Major
dif2find

Honor Points : 5366

PostSubject: Re: Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers.   Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 6:06 am

well dont worry limp you will improve over time. Even we vet still make mistakes at time. You give alvin a go next time.. Smile his fun to play with.

By the way he is a 40K rule book... you want rules ask him. Unless he is in a bad mood... " hai yo!!! read the rule book la" thats his line.

Maybe after that you play againts Joo.. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://dif2find-wargaming.blogspot.com/
limp83
Sergeant
Sergeant
limp83

PostSubject: Re: Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers.   Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 8:36 am

@LordAK : I actually had 2 games yesterday =) One vs Syamael's Space Wolves (not even his competitive list =p), been TA'ed on turn 5... another against Wolkenritter's (Vern) IG list, actually on Turn 2 (or is it 3?) shooting phase, he is leading on kill point 6-0 =p (but he needs to go back on 4.30 so we call it a day, save me from another TA..LOL)

@dif : LOL, I need to at least have one win (n finetune my current list beyond all recognition) before I dare to challange Alvin or Joe =p I guess I'm probably the only dude who field a uncompetitive Black Legion list... haha Laughing
Back to top Go down
dif2find
Major
Major
dif2find

PostSubject: Re: Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers.   Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 9:20 am

worry not bro.. after having play 10 or more games you will definately start killing your opponent.
Back to top Go down
wolkenritter89
Private
Private
wolkenritter89

Honor Points : 4596

PostSubject: Re: Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers.   Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 10:11 am

I was leading only because my vet squads failed morale and ran away instead of standing their ground and dying like real guardsmen.
Also it was really lucky that my commissar and 1 vet survived the flamer attacked by raptors and went on to kill the chosen squad.
Back to top Go down
CikguDin
Sergeant
Sergeant

Honor Points : 5025

PostSubject: Re: Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers.   Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 6:29 pm

Dude..I'm going to write my own 40k experience. Take a popcorn, this will take quite a while to finish...

We all started as NOOBS...

I came from the Warhammer Fantasy background. I remember Richard telling me to try playing 40k cuz he said that with my firm knowledge of the much more tactical Fantasy game, 40k should be relatively easy for me.

I remember my 1st 40k skirmish..tutored by Mr. Tekanan. Not to my liking..

So I went to study the 40k rulebook & the Necron army book (my 1st army) for several weeks - no test gaming..just purely reading & imagining the scenarios in my head..

..Play tested the necrons 1 game, & i realised they r not my cup of tea..

..Then I experienced an epiphany..that my true calling was truely with Chaos (my fantasy army was chaos), so I started to collect my 2nd army - the Chaos Iron Warriors Legion.

With no practice game, just from observation of how the 40k games mechanics worked back then (3rd ed was it?), plus using my vast tactics learnt from playing Warhammer Fantasy, I joined a GC tournament. Somehow I managed to get into the qtr final - not bad for my 1st 40k tournament.

That tournament really boost my personal confidence, that i can somehow go toe-to-toe against the much more experienced players at the GC (Dann, Nick Ng a.k.a Nick-ol-Orcs, Nick Chew...etc..). Still,I find that although my army was good on paper, I'm still lacking experience.

So I secretly re-configure my Iron Warriors, while at the same time i immersed
myself with lots & lots of friendly matches, testing with lots & lots of different configurations for my Iron Warriors.

Then, I entered my 2nd 40k Tournament at 1-Utama, joined organized by GC & Pan-Global. In the preliminary league rounds, I placed second highest below Azlan, & met his brother Rizal in the Qtr Final. I lost the game by a table qtr (how much was that worth I couldn't remember..100pts?).

After that, people started to take notice of me & my Iron Warriors..mainly because they knew I was just a NOOB with just >6 months of gaming experience but with good tournament track records.

That same year, or was it the year after that, I entered the 1st (& only) Malaysian Games Convention at the Mid-Valley Megamall. I secretly reconfigured my Iron Warriors again with lots of anti infantry & anti-tanks. My only close combat unit is my Daemon Prince with fleet & charge 12" ability, in melee all his attacks ignores armour & invul svs.

It was here that I 1st met & fought other gamers such as Syamael, Christ Koh..& others..

This time, I went over the top all the way to the Final. My Final opponent? RIZAL again. this time, he brought his Dark Eldars. It was a super heated match, with our table being surrounded by lots of other players from various different gaming clubs.

Rizal tried to pull the same trick by claiming a table qtr off of me, but having experienced this 'trick' before, I managed to counter attack. In the end, we have to tally up the victory points.

It looked really close, with me resigning to accept defeat (cuz from my point of view, it seemed that I lost quite a lot of models).

But good old Dann said the magic sentence, "Wei Din, why don't you both calculate carefully how much victory points you awarded to each other. That way, we can safely conclude who's the winner. Don't simply admit defeat, & suddenly next morning when you wake up you realised that you've miscalculated something that will make you regret your decision."

So we both made our calculations, under the crucial observation of the panel judges (& audiences)..& I won the match by a mere 53 victory points! PANDEMONIUM!!

The Games Con winning was the turning point of my 40k 'career'. I started to become more aggressive in my games..& I joined every tournament ever since which were organized by GC..which, more often than not, I managed to grab my share of winnings.

Fast forward to now..I still think that I have a lot that I want to achieve in the 40k gaming world... tournaments to be won, armies to be defeated, opponents to be crushed, friends of like-minded to be found...stuffs like that..

The only thing I'm aware that I could never achieve in this life-time is the painting award..that is 1 area of expertise that I will simply concede..

I still dream of going to Singapore to join their tournaments. I've never been there, mainly due to financial constraints.. just wait..someday, i'll be there..

Back to top Go down
limp83
Sergeant
Sergeant
limp83

PostSubject: Re: Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers.   Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 6:54 pm

@Cikgu : Hey, man, thanks for the long encouraging words.. I hope one day I could recount my battle in a similar way^^ After read through your experience, I guess we all have to start somewhere =)

More gaming it is! (But before that, I have to get a better understanding of what my army/the rule can do/cannot do at the moment, actually, some of the rule is still kinda blur to me.. Laughing), I think my target for this year is to at least learn to play the game properly and prevent as much TA as possible..kekekeke

But if all else fail, I would settle for a fluffy army with decent paint job and frantically join any painting event that I can attend Twisted Evil

ps: @..@ I could have get info wrong, but did you realize that there are quite alot of sibling 40k players around, you and Lord AK, Khairul and Arzmi, Jake and his brother(? judging from his post.. but I guess he take over his brother's nids now) , now Azlan and Rizal... interesting...
Back to top Go down
dann.toh
Major
Major
dann.toh

Honor Points : 5270

PostSubject: Re: Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers.   Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 6:02 am

CikguDin wrote:

But good old Dann said the magic sentence, "Wei Din, why don't you both calculate carefully how much victory points you awarded to each other. That way, we can safely conclude who's the winner. Don't simply admit defeat, & suddenly next morning when you wake up you realised that you've miscalculated something that will make you regret your decision."

Sh*t! I said that? Was I drunk? O.O totally don't rmbr this...
Back to top Go down
Alvin K
Alvin K

PostSubject: Re: Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers.   Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 6:16 am

Dann. You told me that you were gonna inherit all your possessions to me too. Don't forget please, you even signed the affidavit.
Back to top Go down
dif2find
Major
Major
dif2find

PostSubject: Re: Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers.   Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 6:42 am

hahaha.. you sure or not alvin that dann sign.. werent you drinking aswell.. or was it the other way around... i can Dann smiling already.
Back to top Go down
Alvin K
Alvin K

PostSubject: Re: Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers.   Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 6:48 am

dif2find wrote:
hahaha.. you sure or not alvin that dann sign.. werent you drinking aswell.. or was it the other way around... i can Dann smiling already.

Syamael, you see la what you type, you sound more mabuk than me. Hahahaha.
Back to top Go down
Vuel
Corporal
Corporal
Vuel

Honor Points : 4777

PostSubject: Re: Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers.   Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 7:02 am

yup, the Space Wolf is totally drunk..
Back to top Go down
http://vuel-iqbal.blogspot.com
limp83
Sergeant
Sergeant
limp83

PostSubject: Re: Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers.   Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 7:04 am

(*hic*)
Back to top Go down
dif2find
Major
Major
dif2find

PostSubject: Re: Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers.   Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 7:09 am

hahahaha.. ya had to much ale.. this morning..hahahahahahaha.. yup im drunk... drunken
Back to top Go down
CikguDin
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers.   Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 11:15 am

Quote :
CikguDin wrote:

Sh*t! I said that? Was I drunk? O.O totally don't rmbr this...

Yupp..As gay as it sounded, that was definitely you..And nope..you weren't drunk lol! !

limp83 said;

Quote :
now Azlan and Rizal... interesting...

You got it wrong here. Azlan & Rizal were the 1st generation among the 40k Brotherhood of Destructions!! The rest of us can only be regarded as the 2nd or 3rd generation only.

I don't know what happen to Rizal, haven't seen him in action for a very long while.
Back to top Go down
dif2find
Major
Major
dif2find

PostSubject: Re: Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers.   Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 11:22 am

yup back then Lan and Rizal were the ultimate Brotherhood of Destruction back then... but now day they are plenty.
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Honor Points : 6466

PostSubject: Re: Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers.   Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 6:14 pm

Yup.. I remember that.. it was at Mid Valley tournament back in 2004 (or was it 2003?)

In the event, my beastmen got TAed in all 3 games I fought. What a noob hahaha.

Back to top Go down
dif2find
Major
Major
dif2find

PostSubject: Re: Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers.   Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 6:07 am

That was some experience that for sure.. was an awesome event.
Back to top Go down
CikguDin
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers.   Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 11:01 am

I remember fighting you, Syamael, in the Qtr Final. You came along with your girlfriend, right?

Tournaments back then were conducted in 2 days. 1st day was usually the preliminary league matches to see who gets to be in the Best/Top 8.

Day 2, we started with the Qtr Final rnds, followed by the Semi-Finals, and lastly, the Final Match.

I don't know what Azlan & Rizal won during the Tournament held at 1-U (they met each other in the Final round). In the Games Convention at the Mid Valley, I won RM600 cash king !!

P.S: On retrospect, maybe i should have tried my luck with the other competition held in the same convention center. Don't know what kinda game they were playing, but the winning prize was RM5000 affraid ! (Or was it RM10K!)
Back to top Go down
limp83
Sergeant
Sergeant
limp83

PostSubject: Re: Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers.   Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 1:21 pm

After a few weeks of gaming mode, I finally switched back to Hobby mode... was intended to paint up all the remaining raptors (2 more to go...), but suddenly I saw the milliput that I acquired a couple of weeks ago... and so, Sally the defiler had been... revived.

Behold, SALLY LIVES! (partially...)

Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 P1010003
Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 P1010005
Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 P1010006
Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 P1010007

For the moment, it's head only, tons of stuff still need to be done..

Thrown away a couple of fail sculpt =p and I just can't get a smooth finish (finger print..freaking finger print all over! the GS is a mess too), but I think I settle for this one...

Also, while I at it, sculpted a flaming skull (Metallica style, baby!), it will be used on my entry for Golden Kris single model entry =)

Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 P1010001
Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 P1010002
Back to top Go down
dif2find
Major
Major
dif2find

PostSubject: Re: Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers.   Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 6:13 am

nice one there bro.. like the way up made the flame.. looks real.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers.   Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Ave Dominus Nox, I'll see you in midnight clad, brothers.
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next