Wargamers Malaysia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Malaysia's Premier Wargame Community Forum

HomeWargamers frontGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My first Ranger list from the new book

Go down 
+5
sundalbolong
LordAK
Paxter
CikguDin
spunkybass
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

Honor Points : 5371

My first Ranger list from the new book Empty
PostSubject: My first Ranger list from the new book   My first Ranger list from the new book EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 7:59 am

All in all, this is a very interesting new codex. On balance, I like it. Here's my first non-vehicle Ranger list from the new book:

HQ:
Illic Nightspear
Farseer

ELITES:
Striking Scorpions (10) - Exarch w scorpion's claw, crushing blow, monster hunter

TROOPS:
Pathfinders (5)
Pathfinders (5)
Rangers (5)
Rangers (5)
Rangers (5)
Rangers (5)

FAST ATTACK:
Warp Spiders (8 ) - Exarch w twin-linked death spinners, fast shot
Swooping Hawks (6) - Exarch w hawk's talon

HEAVY SUPPORT:
Dark Reapers (6) - Exarch w missile launcher, flakk missiles, fast shot
Wraithlord - brightlance
Wraithlord - brightlance
Back to top Go down
http://spunkybass.blogspot.com/
CikguDin
Sergeant
Sergeant

Honor Points : 5027

PostSubject: Re: My first Ranger list from the new book   My first Ranger list from the new book EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 9:53 am

Boss, W-Lords can now take 2 Brightlances!
Back to top Go down
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

PostSubject: Re: My first Ranger list from the new book   My first Ranger list from the new book EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 10:14 am

Can. BUT ... 1) don't want to convert, 2) mahal points
Back to top Go down
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

PostSubject: Re: My first Ranger list from the new book   My first Ranger list from the new book EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 4:07 am

Finally tried out this army against Faizal's Space Wolves. It was a blast! Freaking amazing. Some highlights:

1. Warp Spiders are MVP few times over. Their extreme mobility and the new mono rules make them all round killers. I played them a bit wrongly last night, but it did not really change the fact that these guys are amazing aspects. 

2. Dark Reapers are the another killer aspect. The ability to mive and shot makes a huge difference, as the guys were able to reposition as and when needed. Illic was directing their fire and gaining the ability to split fire allowed my Exarch to pick off dreadnoughts while the rest of his squad shot up marines. 

3. Illic himself as a shooter was rather underwhelming in last night's game. He only shot once and failed to wound. We'll try this again. 

4. Striking Scorpions are amazing! They've been my close combat of choice since 6th Ed, but they got so much better now. Fleet really helps, and the new mandiblaster rules really works a charm. They were unlucky last night as the the Long Fangs they were charging managed to score 5 krak missile hits out of 6 over watch shots, but in combat they were awesome. My Exarch has always got a Scorpion's Claw on him and now he's a challenge killing machine! 

5. I like the new Farseer. He was running around w Guide, Fortune and Eldritch Storm. I could never cast all three in the same turn, but the extended range of guide and fortune is sweet. Eldritch Storm's haywire ability managed to cause a penetrating hit in a dreadnought. Nice. 

6. Rangers - I got used very fast to the fact that their rifles are now normal sniper rifles. But the points discounts make me less irritated when they get gunned down. 

7. Pathfinders are really really awesome in this incarnation. Though they lost the AP1 on their rifles, stealth and shroud, and sharpshoot makes them tactical multipliers. I was able to pick off power fist dudes, plasma gunners and a marine who happened to be standing near an objective. Coolness. 

8. My Swooping Hawks were untested. They showed off their new deep striking prowess by landing nearly behind a building amidst a whole bunch of other Eldar, but their failed charge (needed a 9, rolled double 1s and the reroll didn't help) caused them to be sitting ducks in front of a dakka dread. We'll try again next time. 

9. The Wraithlords were quite ineffective last night. I should learn to barrel them forwards and into assault instead of slowly trying to shoot as well. I'll try these guys again. 

Totally looking forward to a second round with the new Ranger Force!

Last edited by spunkybass on Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
CikguDin
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: My first Ranger list from the new book   My first Ranger list from the new book EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 5:05 am

Yup, the Spiders are super awesome this time. Imagine all delivering S7 shots against most light/medium vehicles = deadlines. 

But to me, they are competing with other interesting units in the Fast Atk slots, especially Flyers & Vypers.

Has anybody tested the Hemlock Wraithfighter yet? The auto-default casting of Terrify is very nasty since it removes all enemy Fearless spc rule within a certain distance & forces them to make immediate morale check. Thats nasty! 

Imagine: Abaddon running away...Razz
Back to top Go down
Paxter
Admin
Admin
Paxter

Honor Points : 6176

PostSubject: Re: My first Ranger list from the new book   My first Ranger list from the new book EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 5:33 am

Only prob din, is you got to be almost above them to do so.
Back to top Go down
https://wargamersmalaysia.forumms.net
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

PostSubject: Re: My first Ranger list from the new book   My first Ranger list from the new book EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 5:38 am

Didn't use the spiders against vehicles last night, I'm sure they are awesome. I have a feeling they trump vypers, especially my expensive scatter laser/shrui-cannon ones, but we'll see
Back to top Go down
CikguDin
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: My first Ranger list from the new book   My first Ranger list from the new book EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 5:56 am

@Pax: Ya la..The Hemlock has quite a potential, but its rules design leave a really bad taste. On top of that, its heavy D-Cannon is only a small Blast weapon? That is so sad. I was hoping they'd be a torrent-type of distort weapon.
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Honor Points : 6468

PostSubject: Re: My first Ranger list from the new book   My first Ranger list from the new book EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 11:43 am

Quote :
managed to score 5 krak missile hits out of 6 over watch shots,

Laughing . Scorpions Claw is the best! Sad Autarch cannot take it hahaha..

The Spider Exarch.. give the Rapid Fire Stargun (or something.. cant remember) lagi best bro. Low AP can almost guarantee 3 kills with Fast Shot. If lucky can Pin opponent summore.
Back to top Go down
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

PostSubject: Re: My first Ranger list from the new book   My first Ranger list from the new book EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 11:59 am

Ok jugak tuuu
Back to top Go down
sundalbolong
Recruit
Recruit
sundalbolong

Honor Points : 4502

PostSubject: Re: My first Ranger list from the new book   My first Ranger list from the new book EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 8:37 am

Quote :
ELITES:
Exarch w scorpion's claw, crushing blow, monster hunter

Ini exarch strike on str7 or str8?
Back to top Go down
http://xtype74.blogspot.com/
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: My first Ranger list from the new book   My first Ranger list from the new book EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 9:08 am

Strength 7 bro.. at initiative 5. He will defeat any Squad Leader in challenges.
Back to top Go down
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

PostSubject: Re: My first Ranger list from the new book   My first Ranger list from the new book EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 9:16 am

Sorry ah .... Initiative 6 Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
sundalbolong
Recruit
Recruit
sundalbolong

PostSubject: Re: My first Ranger list from the new book   My first Ranger list from the new book EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 9:36 am

Hmm str7 boleh juga la dia swing ni wraith knight
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: My first Ranger list from the new book   My first Ranger list from the new book EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 10:08 am

Yes can.. but wounding on 5+. Why send them. I would give that task to Rangers!

@Spunky: Ya lah.. Initiative 6!! Good against some ICs even.
Back to top Go down
Dr-DOOOM!!!
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Dr-DOOOM!!!

Honor Points : 6188

PostSubject: Re: My first Ranger list from the new book   My first Ranger list from the new book EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 10:36 am

Exarchs with claws are super gay now. lol
Back to top Go down
dif2find
Major
Major
dif2find

Honor Points : 5368

PostSubject: Re: My first Ranger list from the new book   My first Ranger list from the new book EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 11:51 am

that is sooo awesome str 7 .. still ap 2 right. strike at INI 6... awesome.

where got gay wei... its supergay..hhahahahah
Back to top Go down
http://dif2find-wargaming.blogspot.com/
sundalbolong
Recruit
Recruit
sundalbolong

PostSubject: Re: My first Ranger list from the new book   My first Ranger list from the new book EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Str8 baru supergay
Back to top Go down
dann.toh
Major
Major
dann.toh

Honor Points : 5272

PostSubject: Re: My first Ranger list from the new book   My first Ranger list from the new book EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 12:22 pm

ala...
for almost the same amount of points, a klaivex has also the same attacks, same ini, but not as strong. So whatever the case, scorpion Exarch/Klaivex will kill each other and any other sergeant.

But the rest of the incubi will kill scorpions (or termies) with Ap2 blades @ I5

Gay ape? gay ape?
Back to top Go down
sundalbolong
Recruit
Recruit
sundalbolong

PostSubject: Re: My first Ranger list from the new book   My first Ranger list from the new book EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 12:58 pm

Quote :
Gay ape? gay ape?

lol
Back to top Go down
cookie_yip
cookie_yip

Honor Points : 4971

PostSubject: Re: My first Ranger list from the new book   My first Ranger list from the new book EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 2:21 pm

Why is the claw S7 and not S8 with crushing blow?
Back to top Go down
dann.toh
Major
Major
dann.toh

Honor Points : 5272

PostSubject: Re: My first Ranger list from the new book   My first Ranger list from the new book EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 2:58 pm

modifiers are multiplied first then added/subtracted. Pg 2 of the rulebook. So S3 x2 = 6 + 1 = 7
Back to top Go down
spunkybass
Major
Major
spunkybass

PostSubject: Re: My first Ranger list from the new book   My first Ranger list from the new book EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 3:21 pm

Vs MC can give monster hunter - reroll to wound. If you have 5 pts extra
Back to top Go down
cookie_yip
cookie_yip

Honor Points : 4971

PostSubject: Re: My first Ranger list from the new book   My first Ranger list from the new book EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 3:25 pm

@dann: was looking for that high n low.. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
LordAK
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: My first Ranger list from the new book   My first Ranger list from the new book EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 3:53 pm

@Spunky : 5 points is cheap. SW gets that at 10 or 15 pts tak ingat. And only ICs can take it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My first Ranger list from the new book   My first Ranger list from the new book Empty

Back to top Go down

My first Ranger list from the new book
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next